Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Dewalt Exo core axe seems interesting. It looks like a cross between a Fiskars splitting axe and a Wilton maul.

I own dewalt stuff and I have noticed their name on things that I own that were not dewalt. Like I had a Stanley tool box for work and I replaced it with the same box but now it says dewalt. I own their cordless tools and do believe they make quality stuff. For that price I would buy it I know my Ozark may be a copy of the fiskars but i would think dewalt looked at what sells and made their own version.

Just a thought. Btw the Ozark is holding up as good as my x27 is.

I hate when you send it to the wrong person. I don't have a girlfriend but I often fear that I texted my bosses wife, since we communicate by text for work, and not my wife. The wife and I just say whatever we want to say to each other when we are at work and it's not always something my bosses wife should hear lol.

Yes and with phones trying to “help” you these days, they will often try to prepopulate the addressee, usually the wrong one.

My phone was synched with an app we used at work of potential employees (currently at competing companies). So I’m trying to send internal email and it’s suggesting I send to the outside people. Drives me nuts.

Bailey's Feller Axe

I attended some feller training, and the instructor convinced me that I needed a special feller's axe (short handle, heavy head) for driving wedges, in addition to the other 5+ splitting, chopping, etc. axes I own. A lot of guys in these forums speak highly of Council Tool axes (made in the USA); so when I saw that Bailey's had a sale on their Woodland PRO axes made for them by Council Tool, it seemed like a good deal, and a matter of fate.

4 or 5 pound head versions available. 28 inch hickory handle. $39.99 (on sale for $33.99 through 6/11/2018). The comparable Council Tool version is about $59.99. A STIHL Pro Forestry axe is a bit over $100, and the Council Tool Velvicut American Felling Axe is $200! So there is quite a difference in price.

Received it today. Not impressed with the appearance - if I saw this in a store, I would have passed it by. Handle grain pattern runs at angle. Finish on head is pretty rough: looks like a product made in a third world country. Edge is poor, but that is something that is easy to fix.
IMG_1922.jpg IMG_1923.jpg IMG_1926.jpg IMG_1928.jpg IMG_1931.JPG IMG_1932.jpg IMG_1936.jpg

Might still be a good performing axe and a good value. Not sure when I will get a chance to really pound some wedges with it. Also have to make a sheath for it.

Philbert

Interesting, can you explain why a short handle/heavy headed axe is near for wedge whackering? Can't you choke up on a longer handled heavy axe?

Shorter handle allows for closer swings and often they are carried on the belt in a scabbard so you can access it more readily and swing without having to move away from your work. The short handle won't stick up over the back much and snag you on limbs when you're walking in the bush while carrying on the belt. The weights makes for more driving power and less velocity needed for swings.

Bailey's Feller Axe

I attended some feller training, and the instructor convinced me that I needed a special feller's axe (short handle, heavy head) for driving wedges, in addition to the other 5+ splitting, chopping, etc. axes I own. A lot of guys in these forums speak highly of Council Tool axes (made in the USA); so when I saw that Bailey's had a sale on their Woodland PRO axes made for them by Council Tool, it seemed like a good deal, and a matter of fate.

4 or 5 pound head versions available. 28 inch hickory handle. $39.99 (on sale for $33.99 through 6/11/2018). The comparable Council Tool version is about $59.99. A STIHL Pro Forestry axe is a bit over $100, and the Council Tool Velvicut American Felling Axe is $200! So there is quite a difference in price.

Received it today. Not impressed with the appearance - if I saw this in a store, I would have passed it by. Handle grain pattern runs at angle. Finish on head is pretty rough: looks like a product made in a third world country. Edge is poor, but that is something that is easy to fix.
View attachment 653932 View attachment 653933 View attachment 653934 View attachment 653935 View attachment 653936 View attachment 653937 View attachment 653938

Might still be a good performing axe and a good value. Not sure when I will get a chance to really pound some wedges with it. Also have to make a sheath for it.

Philbert

For $33 that's not tgat bad, my only gripe would be the grain orientation, but for wedge pounding it should still be OK.

A few months ago I made one from a restored 3.75 lb Michigan head that @rarefish383 kindly gave me.

HPVmLJQ.jpg

As an aside, those little 3M discs are working great for my current restorations. A nice option to have in my tool arsenal! Thanks again.

It’s a good looking piece and unfortunately if you order a wood handled tool youvare at the mercy of whatever orientation is on the top of the pile. Although I’m sure if it wasn’t used daily it would hold up for a long time.

Shorter handle allows for closer swings and often they are carried on the belt in a scabbard so you can access it more readily and swing without having to move away from your work. The short handle won't stick up over the back much and snag you on limbs when you're walking in the bush while carrying on the belt. The weights makes for more driving power and less velocity needed for swings.
So, is that what the little Collins I just finished is? A fellers ax? I called it a boys ax because it was so short, but it has about a 4 pound head. The handle is 24 1/2 inches and the total weight is 5 pounds. I can't bring myself to use an ax for driving wedges, but I can see where this one would be good at it. Pics over in the ax thread, and it will be making the trip to the PA GTG.

Back