Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So are we saying lay the round on its side and split it on the ground? I usually toss rounds into a pile and stand them up on my block to split them toss them into a pile in front of the wood shed.

Since the x27 my maul never left the barn. 90 percent split with the fiskars and the rest with the 10lb sledge and wedge. In straight grain wood I would say it's less lifting and faster splitting than a log splitter.

If it's not straight or is knotty then I cut a notch in the top with the saw and it pops apart with a wedge.

Looking good, brother!

Come upon any doubles in the UK much? I might be able to help you out if not...

I have heard of them, but can't say I know much. Will check it out!
Watch the move Out of the Furnace with Cristian Bale & Woody Harrelson its about the Ramapo Mountain people..

So are we saying lay the round on its side and split it on the ground? I usually toss rounds into a pile and stand them up on my block to split them toss them into a pile in front of the wood shed.

Since the x27 my maul never left the barn. 90 percent split with the fiskars and the rest with the 10lb sledge and wedge. In straight grain wood I would say it's less lifting and faster splitting than a log splitter.

If it's not straight or is knotty then I cut a notch in the top with the saw and it pops apart with a wedge.

I was talking about splitting directly in the pile as how they lay. If I overstrike, my axe bit goes into the log or split behind it. Depending on how it lays, I'll either whack the end grain topside, or sideways. If the log is on its side, I'll whack it along the grain near the top. After I split a bunch, I just knock off the splits to the side with my axe or kick them with my boot, then resume attacking the pile until there's nothing left to split. After that, then I'll move it to where it needs to be stacked.

I'll look out for that. Truth be told, I can't even remember the last time I watched a movie nor remember what it was.
I haven't had TV since mid May, when I get back home in late September I'll be spoiled. I guess I could always rent a movie and watch it on my laptop.

I do not miss it much though as I do not watch TV other than football and basketball.

I haven't had TV since mid May, when I get back home in late September I'll be spoiled. I guess I could always rent a movie and watch it on my laptop.

I do not miss it much though as I do not watch TV other than football and basketball.

We've been cord cutters for a number of years now, and I lost interest in standard programming nearly a decade ago. I used to follow the NFL, but my interest started waning with that as well, now I just don't even care anymore. Some of my co-workers roll their eyes with contempt whenever I mention that I don't really watch TV, but it's not that I'm against it, it's just that I really don't care about television. Every so often, my wife and I will binge watch streaming a show that's mutually interesting on Netflix or HBO, but that's about it. Most of the time I'd rather listen to music and tinker in my shop or work on current projects. I LOVE music, and like to jam out loud. Now THAT is a relaxing evening!

I usually get the TV on around 9pm and watch HGTV or some DVR show then by 10 I shut it off and go to sleep. The TV is always on ,usually Disney channel, since I have 2 kids but I like the radio and dont sit down much. Doing the HVAC life going from house to house i get enough entertainment. Maybe some day I'll have the time and patience to sit down and watch a movie.

No TV in my house for 5 years now , the wife watches what she wants over the internet , the forums and some Youtube is all for me .
I was listening as the wife was watching A&E , it was about Julia Roberts , I said to the wife "You know , I've never watched a movie with her in it ."
Sean Connery were the last Bond movies that I've seen lol

At night when I'm sitting in bed after the day is done its relaxing to watch TV but only because I would be sitting in the dark if the TV was off. I watch NFL but only my home team, the buffalo Bill's. I have a million things to do besides fire wood so productivity is more satisfying than watching people do stuff.

Put up 3/4 cord of misc blowdown and standing snags today from the yard perimeter today. Over half of it was large enough to need splitting so the X-25 got the call. I am so happy I bought this axe even though I have the X-27 and S2800. It’s balance is so much better than then Husky and the shorter handle needs less energy to swing than the X-27. Of course when the going gets tougher is when the Husky comes out.

...for my favorite price.
My wife says the same thing about me, mostly because it's true. One of my favorite stories of all time: At the time I was searching for a loader/backhoe my wife and I were laying in bed one night and she says, "You would probably like a free loader." Without missing a beat I said, "Honey, I thought I already had one." And then I laughed uncontrollably. She didn't get it for about 10 seconds but when she did she started hitting me. LOL

I quit reading after the second timeline. Does "Mann" fit into all of those buy outs? I had a Mann Jersey that had "True American" on one side. I think that's the one I gave Leadfarmer. I saw "True American" mentioned in the list.

I believe it was the second post with the good info and I didn’t read past their either.

I’m still looking for a Mann boy’s axe or hatchet to do for my wife. We used to call our old cat “the Mann” so we try to find products with that name.

I’d also like to find a good HB blue head boy’s axe to replace the ones I sold when I didn’t need axes anymore lol.

Latest posts

Back