Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an old Hults Bruk axe that I have had for years. Cant remember where it came from. I think its some sort of chopping axe, probably 2kg head on it.
I really need to find a new haft for it.

105_0498.JPG

This is another Hults Bruk axe. This is the 1750 gram chopping axe. It can split small rounds but it get stuck too easily in bigger stuff.

105_0365.JPG

After many many cords split on the ground, the S2800 needed a little attention. I used a raker file to remove the burs. When I get it back to the house I’ll use the grinder to put a sharp edge back on it.

Still one of the best splitting tools I’ve ever used.
View attachment 830837View attachment 830838

Ouch. I started splitting on a pile of plywood for that reason. Anyways I agree that a good axe is the best splitting tool. Now that I have a pto drive splitter I still split with the x27 unless it's a bigger round. 1 swing from a good axe in straight wood works great.

I just bought a Stihl Pro Splitting Maul today. I'm used to the hydraulic splitter so I'll have to learn to use it and get good with it before I give an update.

I've one of those. Or actually from the product number mine may be the cleaving hammer but I can't see the difference. At 8lb it's too heavy for extended use and mostly overkill. I fiskar my way through the pile and then now and again when I've a few pieces that I can't fiskar I fetch the stihl pro. It's a bludgeon that will smash through stuff the x27 just can't. However I still find some stuff is beyond it and gets put aside to curb up. It's a well made tool though, and is a useful part of my set up.

I've one of those. Or actually from the product number mine may be the cleaving hammer but I can't see the difference. At 8lb it's too heavy for extended use and mostly overkill. I fiskar my way through the pile and then now and again when I've a few pieces that I can't fiskar I fetch the stihl pro. It's a bludgeon that will smash through stuff the x27 just can't. However I still find some stuff is beyond it and gets put aside to curb up. It's a well made tool though, and is a useful part of my set up.
The one I got is 6.6 lbs. I believe the x27 is just under 6 lbs. I would've gotten the fiskars if it was available near me but I couldn't find it. So far it has been working better than the old cheap one behind it in the picture. Its quicker than the hydraulic splitter but the temps are in the 90s all week so I'll be using the splitter while it's hot. I need to work on my technique but at the end of the day it was a good purchase.
20200603_133033.jpg20200603_133037.jpg

Who's got a Hultafors Agdor splitting maul? @dancan ? IIRC you have one of the Sweedish mauls, is it the agdor per chance? this one here https://www.woodsmithexperience.co....ity Swedish,from selected oiled prime hickory.

Just asking as my quest for handles of the straight kind, and less than silly money, has found this https://woodsmithexperience.co.uk/shop/product/handle-hultafors-agdor-splitting-maul-2-500g/ now it seems wrong tbh, 18 quid for a smedberg handle.... especially when I can't see how its ny differnt from the Hult splitting axe handle here https://woodsmithexperience.co.uk/shop/product/handle-hultafors-hult-splitting-axe/ except its half the price.....and actually I've a feeling he Agdor length quoted is wrong but i digres. Anyway, if anybody with the Agdor could check a few measurements for me? is the eye actually 54mm x 25mm ( about 2 5/32" x1" in old money), and how tall/deep is the axe head? Or rather, how much haft is there from top down to where it starts to taper? Just trying to check the handle could be made to fit an axe head before i buy it. thank you!

I know this is a whole can of worms but I'm going there.... is it actually any different to the x27? you have a x25 don't you? so maybe can't put the 2 beside each other, eyeball, measure, weigh etc. but I'm not sure there are any differences, other thn at times its had an all black handle, and at times the head has had ptfe coating (which soon wore off).

I know this is a whole can of worms but I'm going there.... is it actually any different to the x27? you have a x25 don't you? so maybe can't put the 2 beside each other, eyeball, measure, weigh etc. but I'm not sure there are any differences, other thn at times its had an all black handle, and at times the head has had ptfe coating (which soon wore off).
I think that 'someone' did that once. Can't remember who, but seemed like quite a smart fella . . .

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/fiskars-28-and-36-side-by-side-comparison.170817/

Philbert

The head size/design is actually different on the original Fiskars splitting axe.
The SSA head is longer, thinner, and I believe heavier than the head shared by the X25 and 27.
There have been so many variations of these, plus the Gerber versions, etc., that it is hard to keep track.
The selection (and names) keep changing. Might be different models available in different countries / markets too:

https://www.fiskars.com/en-us/gardening-and-yard-care/products/axes-mauls-and-machetes
Philbert

You know @Philbert, you and @muddstopper should get together sometime. Except for the lack of beard, Bill could definitely pass as your brother.
I was driving down the street today and swear I saw myself walking down the sidewalk. Babies all kind of look alike, and old guys tend to also.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back