Spooge VP premix oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTM

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Recently got several bottles of VP synthetic premix oil. Was all excited. Mixed with non-ethanol, 93 octane @ 40:1. After one gallon in my 562 (ported) screen was black with spooge. Inside the muffler was covered in it. Buildup on the exhaust side of the piston. The plug was dry and a uniform light tan in color (good), lots of spooge on the threads though. This is some thick, gooey, spooge. However, the air filter was a bit loaded up from dropping and cutting up a few dead trees. I’ve run only the VP premix fuel in this saw until I bought their 2 stroke oil to mix my own. Until then the screen looked brand new. I know they used Motul in their fuel and their premix oil is different. The flashpoint for the VP oil is listed at 80 deg C (176 F). The only thing that reflects that is how nice my plug looks. The pump gas I purchased is from a station that has that sells a lot of the premium but the gas does have that stanky sulfur smell. Do you all have any insights or recommendations ?

Recently got several bottles of VP synthetic premix oil. Was all excited. Mixed with non-ethanol, 93 octane @ 40:1. After one gallon in my 562 (ported) screen was black with spooge. Inside the muffler was covered in it. Buildup on the exhaust side of the piston. The plug was dry and a uniform light tan in color (good), lots of spooge on the threads though. This is some thick, gooey, spooge. However, the air filter was a bit loaded up from dropping and cutting up a few dead trees. I’ve run only the VP premix fuel in this saw until I bought their 2 stroke oil to mix my own. Until then the screen looked brand new. I know they used Motul in their fuel and their premix oil is different. The flashpoint for the VP oil is listed at 80 deg C (176 F). The only thing that reflects that is how nice my plug looks. The pump gas I purchased is from a station that has that sells a lot of the premium but the gas does have that stanky sulfur smell. Do you all have any insights or recommendations ?

Jack dose a good overview on oils.

LOL. No Dahmer. No need to go to DEFCON 5, yet. What I would like to know is if anyone has experience using this oil, were their experiences similar? Would an air filter loading up after a few tanks cause the buildup?

lmao on the DEFCON 5. Never used it but just mention it and things can get interesting. A restricted air filter could cause the build up. You restrict the amount of O2 and you’ll definitely not burn as hot as you should and that could account for the residue, not getting enough heat to get a clean burn. Clean/replace the filter and try same mix. If it does the same thing try a different Oil and see the results.

Gave the air filter a good clearing last night. Got the screen nice and clean too. Took care of a couple of small pines this morning. Either I’ve got bad gas or this oil is crap. The gas is less than a month old. The gas did seem to have more of that dirty sulfur smell than I’m used to. Cleaning the caked up gunk off the screen after a few tanks seems excessive.

Gave the air filter a good clearing last night. Got the screen nice and clean too. Took care of a couple of small pines this morning. Either I’ve got bad gas or this oil is crap. The gas is less than a month old. The gas did seem to have more of that dirty sulfur smell than I’m used to. Cleaning the caked up gunk off the screen after a few tanks seems excessive.

Now try another mix oil and see what the results are.

10-4. Just ordered some motul from amazon. Pulled the muffler off and was able to get my pinky in there and feel the top of the piston. All gooey. Don’t like goo. Saw was acting up a bit this morning. It seemed to hesitate off the bottom and had to give it a second pull on warm starts because it would stall out on the first. Just drained the gas and put in some canned premix. What a difference on the performance end.

Full synthetics don't combust well in saws, switch to a mineral oil or semi synthetic if you insist. Torch the mesh screen to clean carbon. Forget taking note of 'flashpoint' rating of oil. Try a mineral oil that aids combustion, fresh low octane unleaded and a correctly tuned saw, not overly rich. A little carbon on plug threads & piston crown is normal.

Ive been running that stuff in the last 3 gallons through my saws. (got it on sale) They run normally but I havent looked at my screens yet. If i remember ill take a look and report back. Ive ran through the 3 gallons in my 440 the last month, havent had to retune but I tune by ear. Should be helpful in one way or another

Back