• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Spoon Carving (With Traditional hand Tools)

Spoon Carving With Tom

Spoon Carving With Tom

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hi!

While I was here mostly for chainsaws, I noticed this forum on carving and wanted to share some photos of my work / business “Spoon Carving With Tom”

In 2009 I carved my first spoon and in 2016 I finally quit my job to pursue my passion and start my business teaching the craft on various social media platforms and selling high quality strops from Australian kangaroo leather and float glass sharpening systems world wide :)

I hope you enjoy the pictures and I can’t recommend enough trying it yourself, you need very little and it’s incredibly rewarding and therapeutic! Check out my
YouTube or Instagram to learn more if you like!

Attachments

pschaefer

pschaefer

ArboristSite Lurker
Nice work. I make them every now and then when I find good curvy grain when splitting firewood. Often, when there is a knot deeper in the wood, the grain will grow around it leaving a nice depression when split. I then carve around it to shape the "bowl" of the spoon and handle. They make great wooden spoons and with that natural curve in the grain they are as strong as can be.

Spoon Carving With Tom

Spoon Carving With Tom

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nice work. I make them every now and then when I find good curvy grain when splitting firewood. Often, when there is a knot deeper in the wood, the grain will grow around it leaving a nice depression when split. I then carve around it to shape the "bowl" of the spoon and handle. They make great wooden spoons and with that natural curve in the grain they are as strong as can be.
Thank you :) great stuff!! Well done mate, It’s always great to utilise natural movement to your advantage isn’t it!!

Spoon Carving With Tom

Spoon Carving With Tom

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yep. I still have the first one I ever made about 25 years ago. It looks antique now. It has stirred a many a pot of tea in its day. That is amazing you were able to make a good living out of something that you enjoy so much.
That is the best part about the whole craft isn’t it!! Literally carving a tree in your garden, making a functional object that is still usable for the next generation. I love how spoons age over the years!! I’d love to see a picture if you get a chance somentime!

pschaefer

pschaefer

ArboristSite Lurker
Wooden Spoon & Blank.jpg Wooden Spoon & Blank.jpg Wooden Spoon & Blank.jpg This is a photo of my first one I ever made around 25 years ago or so and it is pictured with a blank that I split out of some hickory firewood last year and have had it stored in the house thinking I would eventually finish it out but haven't yet. (sorry for the repeat pics, this is my first attempt at posting a photo on this site)

Spoon Carving With Tom

Spoon Carving With Tom

Addicted to ArboristSite
View attachment 779638 View attachment 779638 View attachment 779638 This is a photo of my first one I ever made around 25 years ago or so and it is pictured with a blank that I split out of some hickory firewood last year and have had it stored in the house thinking I would eventually finish it out but haven't yet. (sorry for the repeat pics, this is my first attempt at posting a photo on this site)
Super nice work! Beautifully thin yet very strong! Well done :)

DSW

Addicted to ArboristSite
Are you production carving? Certain amount of spoons in a day. Or is selling your spoons not the primary focus?