Spoon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this him?

Yes, that is Tom. He is a professional carver and can really make carving tools sharp. He did have his site name changed on here to separate himself from his full time work, he is following AS mostly for assistance with his chainsaw building.

I see this thread has taken on some interest so I would like to add one tidbit of info about these hook knives for spoon and small bowl carving. Try to find the narrower width type of hook knife like the one shown in ,Tom`s video, a lot of the hook knives on the open market are very wide in the blade, they will work but they will be cumbersome/ clunky for carving small depressions. Happy carving.

Mora makes an excellent knife.

I use a hatchet to remove bulk.

I use the Beavercraft hook knife for hollowing. Very happy with it.

I strop my carving tools with leather and compound. Works really well if they're already sharp and you're just maintaining the edge which is the goal.

Mora makes an excellent knife.

I use a hatchet to remove bulk.

I use the Beavercraft hook knife for hollowing. Very happy with it.

I strop my carving tools with leather and compound. Works really well if they're already sharp and you're just maintaining the edge which is the goal.
I bought the Mora. Very nice (although I haven't another to compare it to. :p )
I'll look for the bevercraft hook knife - had to return the one I bought on ebay, the shank of the knife, near the handle had a dent and the edge of the blade felt weird, like it was rolled to one side.

I bought the yellow compound and used it on the suede side of the strop. I think I saw where the white one is used on the leather. What one do you use?

I bought the Mora. Very nice (although I haven't another to compare it to. :p )
I'll look for the bevercraft hook knife - had to return the one I bought on ebay, the shank of the knife, near the handle had a dent and the edge of the blade felt weird, like it was rolled to one side.

I bought the yellow compound and used it on the suede side of the strop. I think I saw where the white one is used on the leather. What one do you use?

I still use my Mora for detail stuff. They typically come sharp and they set a bevel on them that's carve ready, a pocket knife may come sharp but it will have a really tame bevel that isn't near as nice to carve with.

I don't think there's anything nicer on a budget. https://www.amazon.com/BeaverCraft-...d=1617285337&sprefix=beavercr,aps,203&sr=8-23 That's the one I have, a lot of other manufacturers, even Beavercraft has one with the super tight curve and they suck.

My strop is a piece of pine that I glued a strip of old belt to, the compound I use is green but I'm sure any will work. For sharpening the hook knife I bought a specific strop. You could take a dowel and rub compound onto it if you were trying to go ultra low budget.

A video I watched last night, the guy used a bent-handle gouge to hollow out the spoon bowl.
I'm thinking about getting one of those instead of the hook knife, just seems like the gouge would have more uses?

A video I watched last night, the guy used a bent-handle gouge to hollow out the spoon bowl.
I'm thinking about getting one of those instead of the hook knife, just seems like the gouge would have more uses?
It does but takes more caution when using it, any slip of the wood or the gouge could be serious so extreme care needs to be used.

Some great advice and info shared here, I’m still here (spoon carving with Tom) but changed my name twice, Gaudaost (to seperate myself from carving & my business side of things) and now lVintage Engin Repairs”. Last change was to keep everything in keeping with my repair channel. I don’t spend much time here, as Jerry said, I’m here to learn about engine repair lol.

A great set of starter tools is the Morakniv 164 and 106.

I have had many knives sent to me by Morakniv for testing and can highly recommend them. The more 120 is a smaller version and may be better suited to women or men with small hands. The also offer a Mora 105 which is the 106 blade with a larger handle. You can also buy just the blade only to make your own handle.

I have also had beaver craft send me tools to test, which are disappointing to say the least.

The key is a good set of strops that don’t compress because you’ll be stropping every 15-20 mins to keep these knives sharp. Save me from repeating myself, have a look at my Instagram posts where I cover the issues of micro convexity.

Just google search “Instagram Spoon_carving_with_tom”

A spoon that looks like it came right out of a fairy story. Did you tang oil it?
I just use bee`s wax to seal the wood as they will be used for food preparation. I am not a fancy carver by any means, just carve useful items but nothing to place up for display.

I just use bee`s wax to seal the wood as they will be used for food preparation. I am not a fancy carver by any means, just carve useful items but nothing to place up for display.
You underestimate yourself. That's a fancy spoon. So you are a fancy carver. 😂. Tang oil is used for chopping boards so is good for spoons that will be used with edibles. It soaks into the wood very well and will last longer than bees wax. The wood will keep it's surface texture too, where bees wax adds a sheen. I suppose it's up to individual preference.
Another thing to think about is; your spoon has curves and lines that are the basic shapes of most carvings. You have created them with very good ratios. You should take a step into something more intricate. Nothing to lose. If it turns out badly, it's just a lesson learned for your next attempt.
I'm only starting off myself so I shouldn't be preaching but it's how I see it at the moment.

You underestimate yourself. That's a fancy spoon. So you are a fancy carver. 😂. Tang oil is used for chopping boards so is good for spoons that will be used with edibles. It soaks into the wood very well and will last longer than bees wax. The wood will keep it's surface texture too, where bees wax adds a sheen. I suppose it's up to individual preference.
Another thing to think about is; your spoon has curves and lines that are the basic shapes of most carvings. You have created them with very good ratios. You should take a step into something more intricate. Nothing to lose. If it turns out badly, it's just a lesson learned for your next attempt.
I'm only starting off myself so I shouldn't be preaching but it's how I see it at the moment.
Thank you sir. I have carved a few items that took me more time and pains but gave them away for presents, just simple things like fish, birds , reptiles lizards and a frog. I can carve any object at all if I see it just once so that helps, last winter it was hiking staff`s so if I find time this winter season something will likely be carved again.

Thank you sir. I have carved a few items that took me more time and pains but gave them away for presents, just simple things like fish, birds , reptiles lizards and a frog. I can carve any object at all if I see it just once so that helps, last winter it was hiking staff`s so if I find time this winter season something will likely be carved again.
Keep her lit. 😉

Back