Sprocket suggestions for McCulloch pm 610

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh. N

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What sprocket should I use on my McCulloch pm610 it had a 3/8 pitch 7 tooth but I have been told 8 is faster but less power.Can I have help I am confused !

Yes, 8 tooth gives you faster chain speed over a 7 tooth, but less torque to maintain it under load. Depends what you are doing with it, but stick with the 7 tooth and put a good sharp chain on it. That saw cuts good, just a little heavy compared to other saws of the era.

There are plenty of opinions here, mostly worth listening to. I have run that saw quite a bit and i wouldn't change the sprocket being a 60cc saw, but i haven't put one on there for the heck of it to see what it does. If the same chain will fit with the 8 tooth, it might be worth the experiment. Then you know first hand how much things change.

I have a friend who has a 8 tooth sprocket that fits and I guess I will experiment and see what difference it makes.

One extra tooth doesnt sound like much, but thats one extra tooth per revolution. Take that times say 10,000 rpm, thats adds up. Other folks here are more into sprocket swaps. Not sure if they have a cc range they would recommend. Usually on bigger saws i think. In the end, if you like it, run it!

I am restoring the pm610 and its sprocket was shot and that's why I am so curious to see what it runs better with. I have ran it but I am in the process of repainting it

I got it running a week ago but now I disassembled it to repaint it and clean it inside and out because I heard that the ignition tended to overheat.

Watch routing the kill switch wire. It can rub the flywheel. I recommend blue removeable thread locker for most fasteners. They will vibrate loose. Glad this one has anti vibe.

Thanks for the advice I will keep that in mind when I reassemble it I was surprised they were the original braided wires and they were in good shape

Do you have any idea what year it could be I havent been able to find pics of a pm610 with a yellow air box only black. The 650 had yellow air boxes but I havent found any pm610 though

That could be possible but I doubt it the person I got it from didn't do anything to it because he didn't like how heavy it was and used it as a loaner saw I don't think the air filter or even the fule filter was changed. The bar I don't beleive is original though because it is an Oregon.

Mark Heimann can tell you how many versions of these they made. Mac made the same saw in several different versions. Marketing thing. Apparently it worked well.

Back