ArboristSite.com Sponsors

sprocket tip vs hard nose bars

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by wojo, Sep 25, 2008.

1. wojo

wojo Banned

hi guys i was wondering whats the difference between the sprocket tip bar and the hard nose bar. I know that the sprocket tip has a sprocket nose. is there an advantage of one over the other. thanks

2. taplinhill

taplinhill Addicted to ArboristSite

Hard nose work good in dirty conditions that might jam the sprocket nose.

3. 2dogs

2dogs Addicted to ArboristSite

For the most part a hardnose bar like Stihl's Duromatic is a special purpose bar designed for abrasive conditions. 2 days ago I finished work on a 5 week vegetation management project in our local river flood control channel. As a crew we cut many thousands of small willows and other trees. For the past few years I have gone through 2 or 3 bars on the project. Late last year I bought 2 Duromatic bars, 1 for the 260 and 1 for the 361. Everyone else on the project used at least 2 bars while the Duromatic hardly showed any wear except for losing the paint. For abrasive conditions a hardnose bar excells.

For regular wood cutting I use a sprocket nose bar as it is more efficient. In addition most of the wear occurs near the tip on the replaceable nose. I do run Oregon ProLite bars on 2 saws even though they are not replaceable nose bars. Because of their light weight they my choice on the small saws.

4. woodfarmer

woodfarmer Addicted to ArboristSite

with the price of a replaceable sprocket around $25 the hard nose bars are a much better buy for cutting dirty wood, i find when cutting certain types of wood, they will jam a sprocket nose bar

5. nilzlofgren

nilzlofgren Addicted to ArboristSite

A hardnose bar will rob a little of your saws power, due to friction. But that's probably negligible. Welcome to the site.

6. stevethekiwi

stevethekiwi Addicted to ArboristSite

hard nose good for milling. you get an extra couple of inches at the end as you dont pinch the sproket when clamping the mill

7. wojo

wojo Banned

thanks for the replies, so do you guys think it would be a good idea to just run a hard nose bar over the sprocket tip because, if it is better in dirty conditions then it would also be better in clean conditions right? how much power would i lose going from a sprocket tip to a hard nose? thanks for the welcome

8. GASoline71

GASoline71 Mr. Nice Guy (Moderator)

No... run a sprocket tip... you will like it waaaaayyyyy more betterer.

Trust me... :)

Gary

9. 2dogs

2dogs Addicted to ArboristSite

I will run a sprocket tip bar unless conditions are very gritty like working on a beach or cutting railroad ties or salvage/demo work. A sprocket tip runs with less friction and less heat. However bars are cheap so why not own both?

10. stevethekiwi

sproket tip.

11. Soilarch

Soilarch ArboristSite Operative

I didn't notice any difference from sprocket to hard nose. Then again I'm not really pushing the limits of my saw.

Let me high-jack the thread slightly and ask if shagbark hickory is considered "dirty" enough to warrant a hard nose. I'm running 24" so the nose is rarely part of the equation...but I'll be buying a backup bar before too long since I can't seem to find anybody local who can grind/square up my sprocket bar.

And in the red oak when I make cuts using the top of the bar there's been a time or two the chips get wedged underneath the chain and stall the saw out. Will this be more common with a sprocket-nose. (I only ran my sprocketnose for about an hour. Then ran around trying to buy a bar on a Saturday afternoon.)

12. GASoline71

GASoline71 Mr. Nice Guy (Moderator)

Dirty is just that... cuttin' low stumps or roots, trees with sand in the bark, railroad ties... that sort of stuff...

Gary

2dogs likes this.
  13. stevethekiwi

lol i dont cut dirty

14. Brushwacker

Brushwacker Addicted to ArboristSite

I like a hardnose bar as long as I have plenty of power for the length bar I am running. Easiar to maintain, chain stays on better for me especially when limbing small stringy hardwood limbs. I use both cause I watch for deals and try to pick bars up cheap enough to make a profit on whether it be to put on a saw I am selling or sell a bar outright sometimes.

15. serial killer

serial killer ArboristSite Operative

Surely the illustrious Mr. Wojo already knows the answer to this question. Why bother asking it unless you are cataloging the responses for future harassment?

16. wojo

wojo Banned

why would i ask the question if i already knew the answer? try and think a little bit before you type. if you dont want to answer the question then dont click on it, simple enough.
    the reason i was asking is because, right now i have a 20" and 24" bar and i was thinking about getting a 28" bar and didnt know if i should get a hard nose or stay with the sprocket tip. and i didnt know of the advantages or disadvantages of one or the other

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  17. SawTroll

SawTroll Information Collector

No!

18. SawTroll

SawTroll Information Collector

Yes!

19. M Lintner

M Lintner New Member

I’m glad someone asked. I have a McCulloch 1-43 w/hard nosed bar. I now know to leave it on and use my Pro Mac610 or Poulan 455; when it’s clean wood, and save the 1-43for the muck.

20. Huskybill

Huskybill Addicted to ArboristSite

I think the best set up for less friction is the roller nose with the rim on the clutch. For dirt I throw on a chipper round tooth chain it’s less forgiving in dirty situations.
    I cut at a landing once cleaning it up and had the worst time keeping the chain sharp.