Spruce tree browning and dropping needles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sethryder

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
916F9D32-C840-4E9D-93DD-BDABF7D787AE.jpeg 68890BCE-D1CE-4A6C-A760-E0D799EFF8C3.jpeg 698089DC-8EDC-445D-84D0-796EBE0C9837.jpeg Hello,
We planted a Norway Spruce in late May. In August we discovered the tree had pine weevils. We trimmed the dead top and treated the spruce with the recommended insecticide immediately after discovery .
Now the inner needles are turning brown and falling off. The lower portion of the tree is the worst.
Any ideas as to what might be causing this? All suggestions greatly appreciated!
Located in Southern New Hampshire

White Pine weevil was really bad this year. Could be transplant stress or Cytospora canker. More likely transplant stress.

Did you take the cage and burlap off when planting?

We cut the burlap with a boxcutter and left the cage on. The nursery employee instructed us to do it this way...
Should we have done it differently?

We cut the burlap with a boxcutter and left the cage on. The nursery employee instructed us to do it this way...
Should we have done it differently?

Cage and burlap should be removed as low as possible after the tree is placed in the hole in the general position it is going to remain.

Nurseries are paranoid about people breaking the root ball. I get the tree in the hole, heel in some dirt around the base to keep it steady, then go to work on the cage and burlap.

How aborcultural standards and nurseries haven’t got on the same page is beyond me.

Any suggestions as to what I can do at this point to help the tree? Should I try to remove burlap and cage now or Is it too late? Fertilize?
Do you think the tree will be ok?

You could dig it up and remove everything but it’s going to be quite the job.

Fertilizer is not necessary.

Did you use imidacloprid to treat the weevils? The browning could also be due to a mite outbreak if you did. Shake the brown areas over a sheet of white paper and see if there is a bunch of tiny insects crawling around.

Yes, I did treat with active ingredient imidacloprid.
I just shook the branches over a large sheet of white paper. I did not see any insects among the fallen needles.

Ps. Thanks for everything thus far Jed, we really appreciate you taking the time to help us!

Back