• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Spur climbing question

Joe Masters

Joe Masters

ArboristSite Lurker
Website
www.FulcrumTreeFelling.com
Never climb with only spikes and a lanyard. Always have a life line. This will make you more comfortable, give you more positioning options, and also give you a chance to rest your legs and think about what you're doing.
Most importantly, the life line is a much faster descent system and there are a thousand reasons why you would need to get out of a tree quickly.
When you free climb with spikes you're trading safety for time. This might seem like it's worth it at the beginning but as you get better at working with safe techniques, you'll actually find them to be faster and easier.

STIHL the BEST

STIHL the BEST

Shiny new Member. Only dropped once...
Never climb with only spikes and a lanyard. Always have a life line. This will make you more comfortable, give you more positioning options, and also give you a chance to rest your legs and think about what you're doing.
Most importantly, the life line is a much faster descent system and there are a thousand reasons why you would need to get out of a tree quickly.
When you free climb with spikes you're trading safety for time. This might seem like it's worth it at the beginning but as you get better at working with safe techniques, you'll actually find them to be faster and easier.
Indeed.
I however would use the term whenever possible, in exchange for never.

Carry on...
STIHL the BEST

When ascending with double wrap lanyard, keep both hands on the tree like holding a women's waist and bring it up(lanyard) as you climb.
I'm kinda new with spur climbing and i find it effective when done this way, well maybe for that particular tree i guess.
What I've seen new guys do is when one spur slips panic and lean into the tree trying to bear hug the tree and in return your Spurs naturally angle out away from tree causing now both Spurs to loose contact, so learn to not panic and just keep both Spurs angled into tree, the spur that slipped will bite within a few inches and even if not just transfer wieght into remaining spur and regaff tree withother actually easier than it sounds main idea is to not panic it's instnck to want to bear hug the tree making things much worse!!!