Square chisel files

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
Reaction score
I used nothing but stihl square chisel files this year for my square chain filings. They were of consisted quality. Well now that the stihl files are harder to find for some reason. I ordered some 6 sided beveled square chisel files from baileys. Well to say the least when the order came in I had to laugh. baileys are made in Austria. stihls was made in Brazil. well the baileys files were smooth on one side and very inconsistent in bevel angles. They make a good high dollar raker file. HeheLOL.
So who make and sales a good square 6 sided files?

Baileys has great customer service. Stated there is a quailty problem with the file and trying out new makers.
I just ordered another brand of square beveled files, so I will see how they are soon too. Just hope they are as good as the stihl ones were.
Pretty bad when the only 2 things I own and want from stihl brand is my 066 and square files and they decided to stop carrying the square files. :bang:

I have only used the Pferd chisel files and they seem to work fine. Very easy to use and produce a nice edge quickly. Around here people do not seem to sell any chisel files.

Ive got a couple Vallorbe square files. Even though I gave up on square, the few attempts I gave they seemed to work well. After 10 passes on a non-square chain there was no evidence left that it had been round filed.

Kevin, I started using the rounded 6 sided triangluar files made by Pferd. They work really good for work chains, but if you are making race chains they seem to dig into the tie strap more that the double bevel files do. Bailey sells these. I really like the double bevel files made by Pferd, but I can't find anywhere that sells them anymore either.

For my play chains, I've been using Save-Edge double bevels. I like them better than the Stihl files. Save-Edge also makes the triangular ones too. Ben (NWCS) sells them.

I agree, the austrailian double bevel files from Baileys are much less quality than I was expecting. I'm glad I did not order a dozen to try out....

CaseyForrest said:
Ive got a couple Vallorbe square files. Even though I gave up on square, the few attempts I gave they seemed to work well. After 10 passes on a non-square chain there was no evidence left that it had been round filed.

Went to get a couple 16" chains today, and remembered this thread. Figured since I still have the files, might as well give square another shot.

If I may be so thick, when I buy the chisel chain and it cuts great, then sharpen it with a round file, and it never performs like that again, what have I done.?

The round are all the Stihl dealers handout when I buy my chain, didn't know there was another option until now, if there's a thread discussing this please direct me. Thanks.

Yes if I buy a RS chain what should I buy to sharpen it.
I have had this guy do it for me and he sucks so any help would be good

wdchuck said:
If I may be so thick, when I buy the chisel chain and it cuts great, then sharpen it with a round file, and it never performs like that again, what have I done.?

The round are all the Stihl dealers handout when I buy my chain, didn't know there was another option until now, if there's a thread discussing this please direct me. Thanks.

All you've done is change it from square ground chisel to round ground chisel, which is slower cutting.

Now if you are starting with round ground, you need to work on your filing some :)

Okay, the chains start out as square ground, and the saw just jumps into the wood. Then I start messin with it, early on I was freehand sharpening with round file only, lately it's been with the Oregon file holder that clamps on the bar, that has helped but still not as sharp as new, and takes awhile.

So, the square chisel cuts faster, then which file or where would I get a file to maintain the the square cut, and does the file size need to change as the cutter gets smaller with use.?

Definately still learning about chain sharpening, been through 30 loops so far and I'm pretty sure the chains should last longer than they are, 10 filings(sharpenings) or so and they're below the engraved line.

I think I need someone who knows what they are doing to give me a little hands on sharpening clinic.

Well, Im pretty good with a round file, just getting into square filing, I think.

Square filing is not an easy thing to do. You may be ahead of the curve since you are not ruined by knowing how to file with a round file. On the other hand, it may be best that you become proficient with a round file before you try square filing.

There are a few guys here that really know how to square file, search on square filing and you will get more info than you can read in a night.

Heres my first try at it...

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=35889&highlight=square+filing

Last edited:
Just received my order from out north west. They are Viiala square files and appear to be of very good quality like the stihl files were. Not like the other poor quality stuff I just got earlier this week. Will update after some usage, but looks good and very defined file cutters, made in Portugal.

GO BUCKEYES!!!!!!

CaseyForrest said:
Well, Im pretty good with a round file, just getting into square filing, I think.

Square filing is not an easy thing to do. You may be ahead of the curve since you are not ruined by knowing how to file with a round file. On the other hand, it may be best that you become proficient with a round file before you try square filing.

There are a few guys here that really know how to square file, search on square filing and you will get more info than you can read in a night.

Heres my first try at it...

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=35889&highlight=square+filing

Thanks, sage advice.

File Maintenance

(Pun Intended)

Looking for some information on square file choices and availability, I ran across several, similar threads. Some are older. Pointing people to this one, below, so that everyone can share information with everyone else, and keep things current.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/square-files.341252/

Philbert

Back