Square filing am I doing it right?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strtspdlx

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I read a bunch of posts and looked at many pictures. Aside from pictures I have no good chain to reference for correct geometry. I'm using a file I'll take a picture of. Whoever sharpened this chain either didn't know it was square or didn't care and tried something. It's a bit butchered but I'm just trying to get the basics down and practice before I go wrecking a good chain. I cannot cut with this chain as I have no bar. My biggest concerns are obviously am I doing it correctly. And why am I hitting tie straps so badly
Before I touched it
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441733942.083462.jpg
After I did some work. Not completely don't just want to make sure I have the correct basic shape. I know gullets need cleaning and side plate is all wonky but I'll have to really take a lot of to clean that up I believe.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441733985.288448.jpg
And this is the pair of files I'm using. Either file I use I tend to hit the tie strap. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441734099.260022.jpg

Regards-Carlo

This may help ,how i hold the 6 sided file when sharpening
file pic may be blurry ,but the side of the file is triangle ,not flat
Need to file from the outside in ,like i am holding the file if you did not know already ,only way to get your corner lined up good .
square file 11-8 008.JPG file valorbe 003.JPG file valorbe 002.JPG file valorbe 001.JPG

I think I'll order a six sided. That's closest to what I have right now so hopefully I'll be just as comfortable with it. I did a lot of reading and just jumped in not thinking I'd need a very specific file as they all looked like what I'm using. Looking closer definitely all different. Are vallorbes any good I see them on eBay. I've only ever trusted Nicholson. All my machinist files are Nicholson and some of them are twice my age and cut better then newer files. However I can't seem to find a double bevel Nicholson file searching google

Regards-Carlo

I use the valorbes because the saw shop has them on the shelf ,i have not tried others ,but i have heard save edge and bahlco names before ,i am sure any of the double bevel will do a fine job ,i had a harder time with the triangular one getting my corner good ,looks like that chain got rocked ,a trick some guys do is use the cheaper round files to get the corner back past the rocked out part ,then use the square double bevel to get the profile of square ,get more life out of the 8-10 dollar file that way .
Looks like the top of your cutter is in the ballpark ,but the side plate is going forward instad of back from the wrong file .

Junk Man provided excellent information above. One thing I'd add right now is to try to file the left-hand cutters with the left hand. It's like a mirror image of what you do with your right hand on the right-hand cutters. I just had to make my left hand learn how to do it 35 years ago.

The Bahco files may be the best of what's available these days. They are my preference, but I don't think there is a huge difference.

Madsen's has a good article on chisel filing - nearly all good info.

So where are the best places to buy these files (the double bevel?)
I must just be internet dumb, cause I can only find them on baileys, they are too expensive and with 9.99 shipping. Save edge are 17.99 and pferd are 12.99. Madsens list theirs Viiala for 9.99 but also are 10-12 shipping. I guess I'm internet search ignorant....:laugh: Is there a sponsor on here that sells them?

I just called my local Stihl dealer to see if the carrier files for square ground and they don't. Then I asked if they carry square ground chain. To which they replied "I've never seen or heard of that before". Kind of makes you wonder.

Regards-Carlo

I just called my local Stihl dealer to see if the carrier files for square ground and they don't. Then I asked if they carry square ground chain. To which they replied "I've never seen or heard of that before". Kind of makes you wonder.

Regards-Carlo
I believe mdavlee knows a good source for Bahco - I can't find where I wrote that down. Otherwise, I'd likely just order a few from Bailey's or Madsen's if I didn't already have enough good files to last me out.
Interesting how folks call it square grinding or filing. There are a lot of angles involved, but the only square angle I can find in the whole business is where the side plate is close to perpendicular to the bar.

Regards-Carlo
Carlo, pm me your address and I'll send ya one, we'll learn this somehow or another. I just bought a 10 pack of the pFERDS.

Interesting how folks call it square grinding or filing.

It's 'cause the hip guys use round files . . .

Then I asked if they carry square ground chain. To which they replied "I've never seen or heard of that before". Kind of makes you wonder.

I went into an ECHO dealer to buy a rim sprocket. Lady at the counter looked at the one I brought in and said, "What is that?". She had worked there 6 years.

Philbert

EBay for less than 10 is probably the best bet. Autotoolworld.com has the Bahco in 10 packs for around $76 or so delivered.
I already had to hear an earful from my "financial advisor" about my bar and chain. If I wasn't buying a house is buy a few. Pinching every penny until we get the mortgage though.

Regards-Carlo

First and foremost I'd like to thank green thorn for sending me a file. It was extremely generous for him to do so. Unfortunately the file was damaged however still usable. I haven't had a chance to file and entire chain yet and haven't gotten any pictures either. Once I get all my other saws running 100% and find a need to sharpen my only usable square ground chain I will post some pictures for more insight into if I'm doing it correctly or not.

Regards-Carlo

It's not your fault at all. It's poor handling on the shipping company's end. I've never seen a snapped file either. I've broken tips off bastard files but I was incorrectly using them.

Regards-Carlo

Latest posts

Back