Square Grinding the almost dead chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Watching Buckin' Billy Ray Smith latest video got me thinking. I have a couple of 24" chains I used up this past season. I could run them a bit longer, but I like to start a new season with fresh chains. I thought I might try my skills and make them into square grinds. I am right up against the scribe'd marks on the top of the cutters. Enough to reprofile the chains? I suppose I should go ahead and give it a try, but it is 16degs out in the garage. Might be a good idea to wait a few days...

I don't think you'd have enough left to change it over. If you did it would not be a fair comparison for square ground vs round chisel.
What I do, is get a fresh NEW square ground chain and practice trying to keep it square and sharp. When that get's out of control the 511a makes it round.
I am in the learning phase on the Simington square grinder. I have a chain that I think will cut pretty well, probably too aggressive tho.
Check with me in about a year, and I will then be able to say "I can sharpen square".

OMG! A whole new animal. Only took about 15 or so minutes. Buckin was saying 45/45/45, but I kept is mostly the same 30/45/0. I didn't bother mounting up the other chain and doing a comparison. I've done plenty with my 18" 3/8 0.050 chains on my ms290 to know. Huge chips, and pulled thru a test log like I have never seen before. I showed the neighbor and he can't quite believe it either. Really a huge difference.

Damn! And I have a giant investment in round files too.

Bad pictures -- small camera with lousy macro capabilities.

Square Filed
CIMG4395 (800x600).jpg

Before round filed
CIMG4396 (800x600).jpg

This was my first go at this. I bet in warmer weather, taking my time, the results would be even more impressive.

It is a long row to hoe, good buddy.

Your profiles look way off.

Stick with it and it will come.

I started SG in about 1989, and am still working on it!

OMG! A whole new animal. Only took about 15 or so minutes. Buckin was saying 45/45/45, but I kept is mostly the same 30/45/0. I didn't bother mounting up the other chain and doing a comparison. I've done plenty with my 18" 3/8 0.050 chains on my ms290 to know. Huge chips, and pulled thru a test log like I have never seen before. I showed the neighbor and he can't quite believe it either. Really a huge difference.

Damn! And I have a giant investment in round files too.

Bad pictures -- small camera with lousy macro capabilities.

Square Filed
View attachment 776389

Before round filed
View attachment 776390

43cd8da0d8c424d035a3bcbc99901c3e.jpg
c0fc547a9d50b3803eca2d1217685987.jpg
6acfe17f7a369a84fc894bcd8b4dedf1.jpg

Shoot for something like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a long row to hoe, good buddy.

Your profiles look way off.

Stick with it and it will come.

I started SG in about 1989, and am still working on it!

No doubt. The chips looked impressive, but there was plenty of very fine stuff in there as well. I figured that the angles from one cutter to the next were likely off, and subsequent filings I will learn where attention needs to be focused.

Yup! I bet with my other camera with a better macro focus, it would show that mine is a mess. But Dayum, the results in wood is impressive.

Once it’s done correctly it cuts really well. You might just get a loop or two to learn the factory angles to start with now off a grinder they will be different as well.

I'm not sure. Just some flat file I had in the tool box, nothing special. A bit more aggressive then a Stihl or Pferd round file that I commonly use.

It is one I use to file off the rough cut edges of the deer antlers after I remove them from the skull.
You need a single or double bevel file. Line up the corner of the file with the corner of the tooth. You’ll see the line it creates underneath as shown in Skeans’ pics above

You need a single or double bevel file. Line up the corner of the file with the corner of the tooth. You’ll see the line it creates underneath as shown in Skeans’ pics above

Got a link to where I can order such a file? I saw in the instructional link is was a unique file, but don't know how to search for it.

Got a link to where I can order such a file? I saw in the instructional link is was a unique file, but don't know how to search for it.

On the Madsens site they have their catalog you can download for some ideas of what available, they are also great to deal with on the phone.

Baileys is a site sponsor and sells pferd and saves edge brand of the square files. I’ve been meaning to order some myself to learn too. I found them on amazon but I don’t want to order a dozen files for over $100. They aren’t as cheap as round...but at least they do takes too?

Back