Square Grinding the almost dead chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this square edge filing better than a round file? What can you do to the gullet?
That lump in the gullet will clog chips.

Is this square edge filing better than a round file? What can you do to the gullet?
That lump in the gullet will clog chips.

Square is so much faster, smoother, and takes less power to turn the same cutter through the wood then a round cutter. To the gullet there’s a couple ways to take care of it, one is to file or grind it back round or some guys myself included enlarge the grinding wheel to grind the gullet well grinding the tooth after a certain point I will grind them back round.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You remove the gullet with a round file.

imo. First do the gullet with a round file for whatever strokes needed, then finish off with only one stroke (two if it's icy cold) with your a) SaveEdge or b) one size larger round intensive cut manual file.

Regardless of the filing method used; I would NOT recommend using a chain in a tree falling situation, when it has been ground/filed below the factory set guide marks.

1573858262815.jpg

This square grind stuff is very intriguing. I however have not yet mastered free hand round filing so I will keep at that for now before approaching something else.

This square grind stuff is very intriguing. I however have not yet mastered free hand round filing so I will keep at that for now before approaching something else.

I only started round filing this year. I will continue to practice and test the square filing, but round filing is going to be my main staple for a good while.

I thought about using a three sided file decades ago to sharpen the chain this way. One more patent I missed out on.

Missed royalties,,,,,I made all this stuff 35 years ago.

Reese style hitch for ATV’s to mount and carry, plus a winch mount.
Dirtbike rack for Reese hitch carries one bike at the rear of the vehicle.

There’s more My loss,

I thought about using a three sided file decades ago to sharpen the chain this way. One more patent I missed out on.

There’s more My loss,

I watched a video this morning that showed a 1 second improvement in cutting speed with a square files vs a stock rounded filed chain. In all my viewings this speed improvement is on pare with what I see with ported saws vs. stock saws. IMO, my first, nearly blind innocent attempt at a square chisel filing is a way way improvement over a factory rounded filed chain I have ever experienced. I THINK I might have happened up upon something unique. This is based on the videos I have today viewed, and the Madsen PDF I printed out and read. I am on to something here. I ordered some files this morning and will test out my maybe accidental new process when they arrive.

I watched a video this morning that showed a 1 second improvement in cutting speed with a square files vs a stock rounded filed chain. In all my viewings this speed improvement is on pare with what I see with ported saws vs. stock saws.

You’re watching the wrong ported saw vids then. Unless they’re making 2-4 second cuts. Most saws gain between 25 and 50%.
50% is twice as fast, fwiw

There’s more My loss,

Sorry this is kind of funny but it’s been ran on the west coast for 50 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back