Squirrel 'De-Fense' Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Not a tree issue, but maybe some of you have run into this before and can help.

We have a chain link fence around our yard in the city. Earlier this year, I noticed that several of the tie wires that hold the chain link fabric to the top rail looked abraded, and in some cases, were worn down to razor sharp bands. On further inspection, I found over 40 of these on less than 200 feet of fence!

photo 4.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 2.jpg
I am assuming that these were gnawed by squirrels or mice? We also have a number of rabbits and a variety of birds in the neighborhood, but that is harder to picture.

I dutifully went around and replaced all of the gnawed wires, or rounded them over if just a little bit rough, so that no one would get scratched or cut on them. A few weeks later, they're b-a-a-a-a-c-k! Seen similar things on some of the neighbor's fences as well.

We have lived here 25 years and this is the first time we have seen this. Anybody familiar with the problem or have a solution? The tie wires from the first go-around were 20+years old. The replacement wires were pre-cut from Menard's: some type of soft aluminum(?) or zinc(?) alloy that is easy to wrap and twist.

I am thinking of trying some other type of tie wire, but not sure what to use. Galvanized wire of that diameter might be really hard to work with.

Anybody dealt with this before?

Thanks.

Philbert

You are correct in assuming that is Squirrel damage.
They will also chew on Aluminum Electric Conductors. And Kill themselves thus knocking out the power.
I work for an Electric Utility. We have at least one Squirrel kill himself everyday. Some days 10 or 12 kill themselves.
Your solution is most likely the best one that there is. They will not chew on steel. It is just to hard.
They will chew the insulation off the out side of it. Which may cause it to rust.

If you can find a way to keep them out of electric lines...$$$$$$.

David

The little buggars chew everything.
I had to replace my four plastic bird feeders within two years after our squirrel population doubled at my country home.
Bought all new stainless steel feeders and they still try to chew in to get a sunflower seed.
I may have to relocate some of the furry critters.

They also love to chew on telco cables. We are forever repairing their remenants.

There must be some sort of stainless steel wrap for wires/cables that they won't chew into.
I have used axle grease to keep them from climbing up bird feeder pole and down the bronze wire hangers for our suet feeders.
They still scamper up the pole even with grease on it but have finally left the suet feeders alone.
I had to wrap some stand-alone trees in my yard with large sheets of brown aluminum to keep them from climbing up and chewing up all our apple blossoms and getting to our satellite dish and wires.
At my wits end with all these squirrels doing all this damage here.

They will chew right through the stalpath stainless shielding in the copper telephone cables.

Latest posts

Back