Squirrels

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcneal

Reaction score
Ive got no problem with squirrels but they have started chewing up my 35' cedar tree in the backyard. They're not using it for nesting material either, the simply chew the leaves off and drop them to the ground. There is a layer of leaves an inch or two thick underneath the tree. Upon inspection, the leaves look to have been cut with razors, thats why i assumed squirrel. Has anyone had this problem? Im afraid if it persists i might lose the tree. I read they might be eating the sap. Should i just start feeding the squirrels more? Or get a BB gun? Any ideas?

just kill them they have done this to a tree in my yard and i got them with pellet guns and blowguns

Last edited:
Those buggers can get into an attic and chew on electical wires and give you a fire. Get a Gamo pellet rifle; shoots a pellet 1000 feet per second; highly recommended.

put peanut butter at the base of the tree and shoot them, other squirrels learn quick that its not safe when they see the buddies shot

Get a Gamo pellet rifle; shoots a pellet 1000 feet per second; highly recommended.

Gamo makes some nice high power pellet rifles. I enjoy the one shot kills I get with mine. Remember if you kill it you have to eat it. :clap:

put peanut butter at the base of the tree and shoot them, other squirrels learn quick that its not safe when they see the buddies shot
I had never thought about baiting them but I imagine it would work nicely.

i bait them out my window and kill them with a homemade blowgun( believe it or not squirrel taste quite good)

Get your self a couple traps put some penut butter in a ash tray not much 1/2 teaspoon. Have a garbage can near by full with water drop them in there . Remove & cut off tail dip end of tail in salt & put some place where no bugs can get at them. Then you get 100 of them go to Mepps Lures and they will trade you them for some fishing jigs and the sort.

Here I thought I was the only one that hated the lil buggers!

Squrell do taste good depending on what they eat, mine are fed on hickory nuts, Damn good eating!

Here I thought I was the only one that hated the lil buggers!

Nope, you're not the only one. I use an RWS with a 4x scope. That's the ticket. 40 or 50 a summer. :clap:

Squrell do taste good depending on what they eat, mine are fed on hickory nuts, Damn good eating!

The thought makes me sick. Feed em to the crows.

RWS makes a fine pellet gun.

Nope, you're not the only one. I use an RWS with a 4x scope. That's the ticket. 40 or 50 a summer. :clap:

The thought makes me sick. Feed em to the crows.

my favorite.squirrel is damn delicious and plenty of them to go around.

Thanks for all the replies!

Sounds like im gonna have to try and find my BB/pellet gun.

If i werent in the city limits id be using my .22

anyways, thanks again.

If you're anywhere that "quiet" ammo is needed...Check out .22 Colibri. Made in Mexico by Aquila, a company that is 80% owned by Remington. The "Super Colibri" is a powderless 20 grain bullet that is proppelled by a hot elly primer. It shoots about 500 f/s. Makes virtually no noise. It's not very powerful, but is enough to kill black birds from 25 yards or so if you can hit them. It also will kill a squirl dead...When I was a kid I shot one in my neighbors yard not thinking it would kill it...and it hit 'em in the head and dropped to the ground. Oops. We used to shoot them out of bolt action .22's in the archery range. Fun stuff. Not nearly as powerful as a air gun shooting 1200 fps, but still fun to mess w/. Google it

why not just trap them and move them to a better place?

these tree rats are coming from all my immediate neighbors properties to chew on my cedar tree. I wish they would just stay in the 40" oak in the front yard. Im hoping the cedar is well established enough to handle the strees, this cant be the first time its happend. I doubt i could kill all the squirrels, they're are at least 20 that frequent the yard. That would be a lot of squirrel stew.

*and yes, they are gray's

Last edited:
I agree about the squirrels being so destructive. They chew the power line and the transformer blows about once a month along with the squirrel:) but...last summer I read an article about a beetle laying its eggs in oak trees and it said if you look closely at the twigs that fall you will see a nick and also a hole where the egg is laid. said to just get rid of the twigs and you get rid of the bug or beetle. Now I'm just telling you what I read as I had also blamed the squirrels.
Novice 2

Latest posts

Back