Squirrels

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why do you say no to the barrel break rifles just curious?:dizzy:

I have a gamo hunter 440 in .177 caliber. Bought it couple years ago and has been a nice pellet rifle. Rated at 1000 fps and I believe it make that kind of velocity even though I have never had it chronographed. I can take out most any squirrel out to 35 yards or so with a shot to the head. Of course a shot anywhere else on a squirrel and he will laugh at you. My 20 yard practice target I can sometimes place 3 shots so close its hard to find more then one hole in the paper so the accuracy is there with a break barrel. Been two over two years and thousands of shots and have had no problems. I sometimes wish I had tried the .22 caliber model I stuck with the .177 because ammo is readily available.

A good friend of mine who is a gunsmith told me not to get a break barrel. After breaking the barrel a couple thousand times and a little wear starts, how do you know where the barrel is pointed? A couple thou at the break is compounded by the 35 yard lever arm, or whatever your range is to target.

You may not have seen any decrease in accuracy of your rifle, however it's not a question of if wear will start, it's when.

It makes sense to me so I bought a fixed barrel.

Funny how this topic is so current. Yesterday, Huckebee talked about how he would eat squirrels cooked in a pop corn popper while in college. Howie Carr, a radio talk show host, dedicated a whole hour to people calling and in and describing how they would blast and cook squirrels. This subject is more popular than I thought.

Yeah, the neighbor called fish and wildlife on me. I got an education. Someone brought in Eastern greys to the PNW. (probably the same person the brought us possums) They eat the young of the native squirrels here. F&W said to shoot all the grey one's I want. So that's what I do.

It's against the law to shoot the lil brown native squirrels. You don't see them anymore anyway.

I was walking my land last year with my Forrester. The discussion turned to squirrels. We used to have a fox squirrel population here but not any more. It seems that when the gray squirrels would come upon a fox squirrel nest with babies in it that the grays would castrate the fox males. Squirrel genocide. I planted a couple of tomato plants last year at the house. Guess who got all of the tomatoes?

It seems that when the gray squirrels would come upon a fox squirrel nest with babies in it that the grays would castrate the fox males.

The crows like squirrel babies as well. About once a year they visit my parent's back yard for a meal. Quite a noisy event. I suspect the ravens around here do likewise.

What are some quiet air guns anyway? I have a 5mm Sheridan but it is too noisy for stealth shooting when other people are out and about.

I don't think you'll find a quiet one with any power. I shoot from the spare bedroom using a bookcase for a rest. If I keep er inside the window, the noise projects out the widow just like light would. Anyone off to either side won't hear much.

Several years ago I was in the garage and had a vermin in the front yard. I shot him from the open garage door, backstop was a dirt bank between me and the neighbors. The neighbor lady that has already reported me once must have heard. She came out the front door and headed for the fence and my 3 cedars where the vermin lay with lead poisoning. In a panic, figuring I was busted, I looked around real quick. My air stapler was sitting on the table saw. I grapped it and a piece of plywood. Kachuut-kachuut-kachuut... kachuut-kachuut. Looked up and she was headed back in the house. Whew!:cheers:

I don't think you'll find a quiet one with any power. I shoot from the spare bedroom using a bookcase for a rest. If I keep er inside the window, the noise projects out the widow just like light would. Anyone off to either side won't hear much.

Several years ago I was in the garage and had a vermin in the front yard. I shot him from the open garage door, backstop was a dirt bank between me and the neighbors. The neighbor lady that has already reported me once must have heard. She came out the front door and headed for the fence and my 3 cedars where the vermin lay with lead poisoning. In a panic, figuring I was busted, I looked around real quick. My air stapler was sitting on the table saw. I grapped it and a piece of plywood. Kachuut-kachuut-kachuut... kachuut-kachuut. Looked up and she was headed back in the house. Whew!:cheers:
Now thats good quick thinking! lol

I originally bought my gamo to dispatch the annoying squirrels at my deer stands. I always had a pellet gun as small child and never thought much about the noise..in fact it had been so long since I had shot my daisy powerline 880 that i was thinking it was almost silent. I knew I need more power so I did some searching and found the gamos. Still thinking they were quiet I brought the gun out to site it in and was amazed at how loud they are. There are several .22 rimfire rounds that are more quiet then the spring action air rifles. Well maybe not quiter but very comparable. My plans of taking the rifle along with me deer hunting didnt pan out but I still sit in my deer stands in the off season to take out the annoying squirrels. I know it is a hopeless cause trying to get rid of all they squirrels, but it makes me feel better. They like to sit just out of reach and talk to me(bark) letting everything in the area know where I am. But these things happen when your sitting in a spot that has an overabundant supply of both deer and squirrel forage.

I originally bought my gamo to dispatch the annoying squirrels at my deer stands. I always had a pellet gun as small child and never thought much about the noise..in fact it had been so long since I had shot my daisy powerline 880 that i was thinking it was almost silent. I knew I need more power so I did some searching and found the gamos. Still thinking they were quiet I brought the gun out to site it in and was amazed at how loud they are. There are several .22 rimfire rounds that are more quiet then the spring action air rifles. Well maybe not quiter but very comparable. My plans of taking the rifle along with me deer hunting didnt pan out but I still sit in my deer stands in the off season to take out the annoying squirrels. I know it is a hopeless cause trying to get rid of all they squirrels, but it makes me feel better. They like to sit just out of reach and talk to me(bark) letting everything in the area know where I am. But these things happen when your sitting in a spot that has an overabundant supply of both deer and squirrel forage.

Gamo makes a good gun, no doubt about that.
I looked at them but when I saw the RWS Model 48, I feel in love with it.
I shoot +50 squirrels a year just outside my window. The day they chewed a hole in my house, war was declared.

And you're right, can't get them all but it sure keeps your trigger finger exercised. :cheers:

My favorite way to get rid of them pesky squirrels.....Marlin .450 big bore. Usually turns em to dust!:hmm3grin2orange:

someone is gonna shoot there eye out:dizzy:

That's what I am talking about. If you lived in the woods the squirrels wouldn't be bothering you. I they did you wouldn't be asking, you would simply blast the stupid varments. But if your asking then you live somewhere, most probably where blasting could result in something that you'll regret. That is what I am talking about. They aren't gong to hurt the tree. LEAVE THEM ALONE!

That's what I am talking about. If you lived in the woods the squirrels wouldn't be bothering you. I they did you wouldn't be asking, you would simply blast the stupid varments. But if your asking then you live somewhere, most probably where blasting could result in something that you'll regret. That is what I am talking about. They aren't gong to hurt the tree. LEAVE THEM ALONE!

Not a tree. Would you want this?

attachment.php

Back