Squirrels

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a tree. Would you want this?

attachment.php
dont blame them squirrels for you peep hole:buttkick:

Ive got a gamo and im pretty unimpressed by it. I snagged the big cat 1200 model from ..Richards.. sporting goods ( #######ed censors !!) on sale for like 120-130 bucks.

Good power and accuracy, easy to load and shoot. My gripes with the gross trigger. So so much creep on a pretty stiff trigger.

A trigger breaking is supposed to be a suprise.. but im sitting there half exhale - hold squeeze,squeeze...squeeze.. triggers still moving squeeze a little more, readjust point of aim for the half inch of the first stage you just took up, re breathe, squeeze, squeeze.. you get the point.

My omega is squeeze BOOM no sort of play whatsoever and a nice crisp break. Spend the extra money on a RWS, much better quality gun than the gamo.

And a breakbarrels never gonna be as accurate as a fixed barrel.

With squirrels this is a issue as headshots are desireable with .177

With .17HMR .. :dizzy: :cheers:

I suppose if one had to use an airgun for squirrel control id pick this one.
http://www.airforceairguns.com/condor.html
http://www.nrapublications.org/tar/AFCondor.asp

Seconds an American Rifleman review.
1250 fps in .22 makes center mass killshorts on crow & squirrel very feasible.

Theres a youtube video of a guy plinking cans at 200 yards with that gun.

I want one myself.

But anyways, look into reviews on the airguns, a triggers so much more important to accuracy than the action of the gun. A fixed barel with a good triggers the way to go. Underlever though, RWS gets the good reviews..
Furthermore that condor I posted links to has no recoil.. A spring airgun will recoil forward then back, also torsionally , decreasing accuracy as well as breaking non specific airgun scopes.

Last edited:
Dont want to argue about air rifles, but the only high powered air rifled I've owned is the 440 hunter from gamo. So far in over two years I would not expect anything more from an air rifle. Mine came with a bsa 4x32 scope both the scope and the gun are accurate to this day. No slop in the hinge. Havent even had to replace a oring yet (which it came with replacements). My trigger is adjustable and no slop in it at all. I think the gun is a little pricey...when I bought mine it received all kinds of good reviews. Which is the reason I spent the $250. Can buy them now for $150-ish.

I'm sorry you feel that the one you purchased was crap. We get that kind of stuff from time to time. Maybe the rws is a better rifle. I wouldn't find out till this one wears out and from what I can tell wont be for a long while.

I do understand the theory of the moving barrel and how it could become less accurate. Kind of like how most believe a bolt action or single shot rifle is more accurate then a auto, pump, or lever action. No matter which is more accurate a whole lot of fun has been had with each and every one. Someone on this site has a quote " run what ya brung" I think this applies here. If all you can afford is a red ryder...I betcha with a well placed shot you can at least scare the heck out of a squirrel.

Anyway...sorry to be soo long winded. I hope with what ever rifle you have you have as much fun as I have taking out those tree rats. Chipmunks are fun too!

squirrel problem

Ive got no problem with squirrels but they have started chewing up my 35' cedar tree in the backyard. They're not using it for nesting material either, the simply chew the leaves off and drop them to the ground. There is a layer of leaves an inch or two thick underneath the tree. Upon inspection, the leaves look to have been cut with razors, thats why i assumed squirrel. Has anyone had this problem? Im afraid if it persists i might lose the tree. I read they might be eating the sap. Should i just start feeding the squirrels more? Or get a BB gun? Any ideas?

well you could shoot em with A 12 ga shot gun
or biger

OK . Got the latested word on what my buddy is using on wild turkeys that get into the vine yards here in Calie for ya . The crossbow tech didnt work that good. Switched to A - Air Force - Air Rifle w/ scope. If you look closely they are claiming use in the enfourcement sector for animal controll. Uses some thing like a Beller 22 cal. pellot . Recommendationis 500 yards past target. Google It. More that 10 & counting with just 1 trap in the last week.

OK . Got the latested word on what my buddy is using on wild turkeys that get into the vine yards here in Calie for ya . The crossbow tech didnt work that good. Switched to A - Air Force - Air Rifle w/ scope. If you look closely they are claiming use in the enfourcement sector for animal controll. Uses some thing like a Beller 22 cal. pellot . Recommendationis 500 yards past target. Google It. More that 10 & counting with just 1 trap in the last week.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

500 yards with an airgun.. riightt.

Its definitely capable of kills out to 100 yards with well placed shots.. beyond that id say it fades fast. I posted a link to the airforce airguns earlier, most definitely an awesome pellet gun but it still doesnt shoot like a varmint rifle.

Turkeys are tough to kill with a pellet gun though, they move their heads alot and penetrating the breast or wing for vitals needs somethin stronger.

Last edited:
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

500 yards with an airgun.. riightt.

Its definitely capable of kills out to 100 yards with well placed shots.. beyond that id say it fades fast. I posted a link to the airforce airguns earlier, most definitely an awesome pellet gun but it still doesnt shoot like a varmint rifle.

Turkeys are tough to kill with a pellet gun though, they move their heads alot and penetrating the breast or wing for vitals needs somethin stronger.
I also did question the final tejectroy but do keep in mind this is a .22 . the thinking there is we dont want it in the eye..purchasing there extra can & or CO2 or diving tank would be a pain .Just kill them the best you can before they make more but do be safe .

I also did question the final tejectroy but do keep in mind this is a .22 . the thinking there is we dont want it in the eye..purchasing there extra can & or CO2 or diving tank would be a pain .Just kill them the best you can before they make more but do be safe .

The. 22 pellet is heavier and carries more enerygy downrange than .177 for sure, however its MV is maxed at 1300fps and quickly falls as the tanks charge depletes. Sure you could make the pellet fly 500 yards with a howitzer trajectory, but its not an effective weapon at that point.

Dont buy Gamo...they wont stand behind their products!...I bought my boy one for x-mas....bad scope....trigger block broke...while I was sighting it in or him.
Scope broke crosshairs! Trigger block was plastic...geesh...I machined one from aluminum and added a new airgun scope.....it does o.k. now!...but I wouldnt reccomend one.

R.W.S. is a nice piece!.

Oh yeah.....on the caliber...range...debate?......hmmmmmm..... .17 hmr

The. 22 pellet is heavier and carries more enerygy downrange than .177 for sure, however its MV is maxed at 1300fps and quickly falls as the tanks charge depletes. Sure you could make the pellet fly 500 yards with a howitzer trajectory, but its not an effective weapon at that point.
The 500 yard is there recommended min distance for safety. Did'nt intended to have it misconstruded into something it isnt.

750fps on a .177 should easily take care of a squirrel up to 75-80ft. I previously posted a link to Cabella's. If you get one, get a side or under lever. Don't get a break barrel.

A good friend of mine who is a gunsmith told me not to get a break barrel. After breaking the barrel a couple thousand times and a little wear starts, how do you know where the barrel is pointed? A couple thou at the break is compounded by the 35 yard lever arm, or whatever your range is to target.

You may not have seen any decrease in accuracy of your rifle, however it'snot a question of if wear will start, it's when.

It makes sense to me so I bought a fixed barrel.

Ive read alot about different myths surrounding the break barrel and I dont get it.

When both sights are on the barrel, how can hinge wear or anything else change the accuracy?

What are some quiet air guns anyway? I have a 5mm Sheridan but it is too noisy for stealth shooting when other people are out and about.

Mine is as loud as a .22, not the same CRACK, but the same volume.

That's what I am talking about. If you lived in the woods the squirrels wouldn't be bothering you. I they did you wouldn't be asking, you would simply blast the stupid varments. But if your asking then you live somewhere, most probably where blasting could result in something that you'll regret. That is what I am talking about. They aren't gong to hurt the tree. LEAVE THEM ALONE!

I live in the woods and the bother the hell out of me.

My neighbor puts out 50lb bags of cracked corn for the "deer" and, well these tree rats eat most of it and then go #### all day cause they dont have to work.

Nothing more than squrrel welfare, next theyll be forming gangs..

Plus we had newborns scampering around in OCTOBER!!!

Something aint right.

Squirrel huggers!?!?!?:monkey:

Hope they get their ears chewed off!

Oh yeah.....on the caliber...range...debate?......hmmmmmm..... .17 hmr

Yep, the .177 has higher MV and a flatter trejectory.

Last edited:
Ive read alot about different myths surrounding the break barrel and I dont get it.

When both sights are on the barrel, how can hinge wear or anything else change the accuracy?

Yeah, many times both sites are on the barrel. I never shoot open sites so I always have a scope on.

What are some quiet air guns anyway? I have a 5mm Sheridan but it is too noisy for stealth shooting when other people are out and about.

Gamo makes a great .177 for the money; and they just started selling one that is advertied as super quiet--it's called the Whispher.
I see that some guys are writing bad stuff about Gamo and "break action" pellet rifles. I think for the money, the Gamo is a great rifle. I have even known one that knocked down a woodchuck. If it can handle a woodchuck, it can handle any squirrel.

Kill the squirrels...............All calibers WORK! I prefer the loud devistating ones.....Nuttin but fuzz left:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
My 2 Cents...

I have a Gamo Shadow 1000 (1000fps) and have dispatched squirrels, opossums and even a coon with one shot. Range from 20' to about 150'(feet)
Follow-up shots even at these ranges are not uncommon. Paid $139 for the rifle and have shot the s$#@ out of it, no problems. Mine came with a lifetime guarantee.
For the price, I'd say hard to beat.

Not as quiet as sub-sonic 22's or shooting out the window, especially when you can shoot back away from the window a bit. Hang the barrel out the window and you might as well shoot in the back yard. Doesn't take much to silence a 22.....

My 2 Cents

Yeah, this deal with two shots for a squrrel......

I used to cap ground hogs when I lived in a Moble home. Buggers would tunnel under the block foundations and make the house lean so bad the beer would flow over the edge of the glass.

One shot inna da head, anda their dead.

I had to dispatch a very angry possum that I cought while skunk fishing. I called it skunk fishing cause I set the trap up with a line going over a pole nearby so when the trap closed the skunk would get dragged out from under the house and up the pole Via falling weights.

This kept them from repeadatly spraying under the house untill I killed them.

Got two skunks that way and the neighbors loved me untill the possum incident.

The possum was big enough to climb down the pole against the weights (Skunks ar mostly fur and bad air) and would have gotten away except for the fact that he didnt have a full grip of what was going on, and thought he was free everytime he got to the ground.

But every time he tried to run, back up the pole he went.

This caused quite a crowd and when I got home from work they wanted me to help it, and I did.

I got the gun and loaded it to everyones amazement and proceded to line up.

This caused protests, and I made it known that anyone who wanted to wrestle with a pissed possum, that just wasnt playing right about now, should go get it down themselves.

There were no takers.

I told people to leave if they didnt want to see, most stayed.

I waited till he climbed down to about eye level and lined up on him and pulled the trigger.

This caused its head to erupt into the most awesome blood fountain I ever saw. Picture the head just coming apart and about .5 seconds later the squrting started and it started rocketing up the pole and doing a couple loop-T-loops at the top.

It was kind of beautifull really.

Plus, one lady threw up.:clap:

I told them it wasnt going to be pretty......

This caused protests, and I made it known that anyone who wanted to wrestle with a pissed possum, that just wasnt playing right about now, should go get it down themselves

+1

Been there, some people just dont think about what they say before they open there mouths.

Latest posts

Back