squishey squishey

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Squishy Lives!!! amost.
I too the zama carb apart and found out right quick why it was leaking. It didnt have a needle valve in it. The fact that it was missing a screw when I picked it up should of been a clue to look inside. I suspect the walbro carb is probably in need of a rebuild too. Thats what I get for fooling with boxes of junk. anyways, rebuilt carb, screwed h/l screws out one turn to start. Checked the flywheel, the coil looked awful close so I took a business card and reset the gap, dont really think I changed anything, but it was a what the heck moment. Put saw back together and set the choke. It took three pulls and it hit, another pull at full throttle and it cranked, but needed some adjustment. Wouldnt idle, but it would crank right back. Started to adjust carb but the saw seemed to be getting awful hot. Not sure if its is just oil burning off or overheating. At anyrate, I let the saw die and it didnt want to crank back. I only pulled on it two or three times. I decided to let it cool off and will try again later.

Got squishy tuned up and running. Doesnt seem to be a high rev'er, no tach so dont know how much its turning. Dont seem as fast as a stock saw. Sounds like the muffler is stopped up choking it down. It has some kind of odd ball muffler on it. Muffler fits, but its not like any 51 or 55 muffler I have ever seen. Instead of the little port on the side with screen, it has a little, about 1/2in, tube sticking out of the top corner. Havent tried it in any wood, been pouring rain for the whole week. When it quits raining I'll make a few cuts and then address the muffler, that little exhaust hole has to go. I have a ported muffler on another 55 I will swap out. The main thing is I didnt want to spend much time or money until I knew it would run. It runs, but I still aint going to spend any money, time I have plenty of.

Did a muffler swap tonite, really woke the saw up. Just changeing muffler and the saw wanted to run away at idle. Did a little carb adjustment and saws seems to be making a lot more rpms. Wish I owned a tach. Saw sounds funny at idle, kind of like it has a small cam in it. Got the pop pop pop sound in the exhaust. Never heard a saw hit a lick like that. I can only guess it has to do with lowering the exhaust port when I milled the cyl. I havnt been able to cut any wood with it, dang rain is non stop around here. Supposed to clear up for a couple of days so I'll cut a few cookies and see if it has any power. Still havnt located my compression tester but it feels up there. Got to clean the shop and see if it turns up. I'll make a few cuts and then decide what to do next. I feel a ignition advance will be the next test. I am thinking maybe 10* advance. I saw that number somewhere on another saw build so I guess its a good starting point.

A little disappointed in performance right now. Got to cut a couple of cookies today. 12in soggy bottom maple, 3/8 chisel on 20in bar. Right off I noticed the saw wasnt produceing the power of a stock saw. Bogged in the cut, Made 2 cuts and quit. Pulled the plug and looked inside, Piston top is a gun metal gray, might be a tad lean, but other than that seemed to run alright. Thinking about just pulling the top and going full bore porting, see what the numbers are and move them more in line with stock numbers. If that dont perk the saw up, then I'll trash the top and install a stock oem p/c and then sell the saw.

Back