SR 430 for mosquitos?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedge hog

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Any one can move this because I didn’t have a place for it

I have a 430 and would like some input on killing mosquitoes?
Mitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi-Yield Permethrin (38% stuff) 1oz per gallon, combine with Talstar P (or generic version) also 1oz per gallon, for the first treatment I also add an IGR like Nygard or Pivot 10 at 8ml per gallon. Make sure to use a surfactant (Hi-Yield Sticker is most common) to help with dispersion and keep it stuck to the treated surfaces. I use the #3 rate setting and spray down the trees, brush, foliage, and buildings while at a walking pace. Mosquitoes hang out in the shade on the tree trunks and underside of the leaves during the day, they also hang out under the decks and eaves of the houses. Spraying the lawn has minimal impact on them but it does help with gnats and deer flies. Make sure you get as high up the trees as possible, that's the main hangout for them.

I like to spray in the evening, do a full perimeter spray and the buildings. If I have any left in the tank I'll spray down the wood pile and around the fire pit. If I catch the mosquitoes at the right time I'm good for 3-4 weeks between treatments longer if I can break the hatch cycle. Some of our places are completely unbearable with mosquitoes, you can hear them inside buzzing near the windows, after treatment the worst we get is a few buzzing around right at dusk but no where near enough to need repellent.

What metering screw or block are you using?
The grey one or small one is .5 , .65 ,.8
The black is 1,1.8,2.3

1, 1.8 is good for applying zinc to pecans

Learning the the rest as I go

I do like the SR 430

I did order a gallon of Talstar p to start with

And the surfactant?
I have Induce
Should I add this to every load of Talstar ?

Thanks for any more info !

I'm using an SR450 without the pump, it has the standard orange metering knob. I guess it would be the 1.5 l/min setting, I'll vary my settings depending on wind, what I'm spraying, how fast I feel like walking. Generally between a 2 and 4 on the standard 1-6 position knob. Your setting for spraying zinc would probably be a good starting spot

Use the surfactant with every load, it's needed to get the product to stick and distribute properly on surfaces. I would highly recommend combining the talstar with permethrin if you want immediate effects. Talstar on it's own doesn't seem to have the knock down power that permethrin does and it can take a little while to get the full effect, with the added permethrin the mosquitoes are gone by the time the product dries.

I went Orscheln’s and pick up some
Insectrin x That is a 10% permethrin and it says 3.2 ounces per gallon (0.25%)

Induce a nonionic surfactant says 1-4 pints per 100 gallons
Or about 2 ounces per 3 gallon load

Does it look right or close?

Latest posts

Back