SRT for a newb?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzack605

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Im looking at a few kits on treestuff. I’m leaning toward a kit that sets one up with a zig zag and jumps right into SRT. The system just makes more sense to me and the device seems safer than relying on a prussic. I’d have to get ropes and throw line separate but I think it will be reasonable. Is this a system that would be difficult for a new climber to get ahold of?

The set up:
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=1997&item=16062

Im looking at a few kits on treestuff. I’m leaning toward a kit that sets one up with a zig zag and jumps right into SRT. The system just makes more sense to me and the device seems safer than relying on a prussic. I’d have to get ropes and throw line separate but I think it will be reasonable. Is this a system that would be difficult for a new climber to get ahold of?

The set up:
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=1997&item=16062

Hello,

This is a pretty solid kit to begin with. I am of the opinion that utilizing the latest technology is the way to go. However, you always benefit more from having a deeper fundamental knowledge base in regard to tieing prussic. Prussic not only apply to friction hitches in your climbing system. They are also used in rigging for progress capture. Keep in mind that the Zig Zag is not mid-line attachable. You will have to thread your climb line through it. There are other options which are quicker to install for SRT. I understand that budgets come into play and we have to slowly build on our collection of equipment. Therefore, you can easily make the Zag Zag work for you in an SRT configuration with an additional attachment (Chicane or Rope Wrench & tether). If you have not done so already, google search more information on those attachments or look up "Zig Zag SRT" on Youtube. I can assure you that the Zig Zag and Zillion are good pieces of equipment. They both work very well in my personal opinion. Just be aware that jumping into this kind of kit will leave you uneducated on some of the fundamental techniques most of us have already learned and are used on a regular basis.

Good luck and be safe when you finally get a rope in the tree.

Best regards,

Mike

Yeah I’ve heard great things about the zigzag already.

Agreed about getting a foundation with the more traditional style climbing. Actually the climbing I’ll be doing through my job will be with prussic. They set me up with everything, I’ve just been too busy with PHC to actually get in a tree.

Back