SRT rope tie-off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as the pull is fairly vertical wouldn't a timber hitch suffice? I use it but I do like alot of wraps. Of course retrieval from above is not gonna happen, but then again somebody is always below me.

I have trouble trusting a timberhitch unless it's under constant tension, but that's just me. You could add a tie-off to make sure it can't work loose, and your extra wraps help as well. But I don't think most people would think of it as a life support knot. Maybe I'm wrong.

Personally, I just terminate the end of the line with a biner, take 1 or two wraps around the tree (depends on if I think there is a chance of it sliding), and then clip the biner to the running side of the line. Cinches up tight, installs and removes quickly even in the middle of a long line. I just try to make sure that the biner is properly loaded. I know there are those that try to eliminate extra biners in their system, but I find it too easy and clean not to use one for my tie-off.

A timber hitch for the ground anchor of SRT is almost the WORST choice. If constant tension isn't maintained it can get baggy and not be secure.

Trunk wraps with a load releasing hitch is a good system to use since the climber can be lowered from the ground without a rescue climb...I know...not 100% of the time, but this is much more of a reality than with DdRT or a choked TIP.

I have pics of the trunk wrap but they're too big to upload now. If you want the pics send me an email or join the SRT conversation elsewhere.

Back