!st fire of the season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihltheOne

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Here we go, first fire of the season last night, 2nd tonight. Feels nice, but really not looking forward to the whole concept yet.

Don't say that. still not ready to fire. Supposed to have 2 more mo before heating the house.

I lit mine just a few hours ago. I needed to cure the touch up paint on my fireplace insert and just couldn't stand it any longer. Had to open the windows to make it tolerable in here and to let some of that burnt paint smell out, but I finally got to burn. Just burning some very small pine splits and punky black walnut to get it hot enough to cure the paint.

May have to actually burn for heat on Saturday night.

Oh no. Its time to have the ole lady start cooking roasts, chickens, turkey. The best shoulder season heat is some good meals in the oven. Everyone wins.

My First Fire

Had my first one of the season yesterday. Gonna build another one today as it is 43 degrees right now. Weather site claims there will be a low of 37 tonight.

Cooler weather has set in about 3 weeks earlier than normal this year. It is usually around Halloween when I have my first fire.

Nosmo

Yep, started early here also... put the storm windows on yesterday and started a fire last night.
Probably start puttin' plastic over the windows this weekend.
'Bout four weeks early.

I'm bettin' we'll still have some warm(er) weather between now and Halloween... but for now, it-is-what-it-is.

Yep, started early here also... put the storm windows on yesterday and started a fire last night.
Probably start puttin' plastic over the windows this weekend.
'Bout four weeks early.

I'm bettin' we'll still have some warm(er) weather between now and Halloween... but for now, it-is-what-it-is.

check this out, kinda slick

BubbleWrap

I cleaned the chimney yesterday and the wife started the first fire yesterday evening. Felt good. I think I've got more wood cut than I've ever had so its time we started using some.

I lit my 2nd fire about mid afternoon today. Woke up to 46 degrees with a high of 50 but had a 25mph cold north wind. I was on a skid steer grubbing out mesquite roots getting quit chilled and came home to a sick wife and baby who were both kinda cool so I lit the insert for them.

Gonna drop into the 30s tonight so I will stoke it up before bed and enjoy it.

Should have my second in the AM.

It's a raw 51º outside and I have the front door open letting the paint fumes dissipate -- painted the stove (and it has to dry at least three hours) and painted the wall near it tonight. Should be in the 40s overnight, and in the AM I'll light a fire to cure the stove paint.

Highs of 45 here and lows in the mid 30's. Started the stove Friday after work and been stoking it ever since. 72 in the house and loving it. :rock:

Oct 7, 2012

Oct 7, first fire of the 2012 - 2013 winter. Wet hail and cold rain, heavy frost warning for tonight ... yuck. The fire feels good.

This is me and my wood buddy in May. Her contributions earned her a special place by the fire.

WoodPileDimensions.jpg

firstfireOct2012.jpg

Threw some paper in a couple of days ago and lit it off to try to get rid of the stink bugs that had migrated dowwn into the stove. Must have got some then, but when I opened the door to clean it today, there were a bunch of them still in there. Crammed it full of packing paper and lit it off agin today. Let that burn out and cleaned all the old ashes out from last season and stoked it full of wood and lit it off. Amazing the number of those vermin I could see jumping around thru the glass. None in there now, gauranteed. I wonder how many BTU's one of em is anyway.:hmm3grin2orange:

It looks like the cold weather is setting in, but I can't make myself go out and get the fire going. It will have to stay this way for the next week or so for me to be convinced(wife saying so) to get the system hot. Last year was soft, I have an odd feeling that this year we get the cold back.

Shea

Back