stack heights on owb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigden

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
im new to postins so be easy on me thanks.
ive got a medium wood doctor with 3ft stack and i would like to go to at least 9ft .
are any of you guys going that high and is there a performance issue with the higher stack ?

thanks the crane guy htt8670 linkbelt the tree killer :greenchainsaw:

Hey bigden, welcome to AS! As far as stack height, generally the higher you go the more darft there is and you will burn a little more wood. Also with a higher stack you will have to secure guywires somewhere in the middle of it to stabilize it. A higher stack means more creosote too because it will take longer to heat up. I have a 6ft. double walled stainless stack with a cap on my Mahoning and it does pretty well.

If you have a draft blower you probably dont need it. If not, try to keep it as low as possible higher might mean more draft once its going but it also means creosote messing up your pipe and stove.

:cheers:

There are several lines of thought about stack heigth.

Whether it's needed or not for draft I want mine high enough that my eyes dont water.

Stack Height

I went from a 2 foot stack, to an 8 foot stack. The Wood Doctor has a forced induction, so I'm hoping the higher stack doesn't cause any problems. Have any of you guys used an 8' stack on your OWB? I have also closed the fan opening down, as it was blowing the fire to the back of the stove and wasn't burning the wood in the front.
Thanks for any input you provide.

The crane guy.:dunno:

I put a 12' extension on my Shaver 165 and everything seems to be just fine. I burn some cardboard about every week and a half or so to burn out the pipe, but haven't really noticed any build up. My stove has blower in the back that pushes air up under the fire in the front of the firebox. It seems to draft much better now.

Its hard for me to believe that a longer stack would be needed on almost any fan forced air induction especially the Shaver 165. Are these draft units or fan forced units. If a flap is simply opening and closing I could understand the need for a longer stack. If its a fan, then I dont get it......... Was the fire going out ? Was the fan/thermostat set properly ? Is this a Shaver or another unit ?

If there are others out there w/draft issues on the Shaver 165 ( or other models ) I'd like to hear about it..

:jawdrop:

Its hard for me to believe that a longer stack would be needed on almost any fan forced air induction especially the Shaver 165. Are these draft units or fan forced units. If a flap is simply opening and closing I could understand the need for a longer stack. If its a fan, then I dont get it......... Was the fire going out ? Was the fan/thermostat set properly ? Is this a Shaver or another unit ?

If there are others out there w/draft issues on the Shaver 165 ( or other models ) I'd like to hear about it..
:jawdrop:

The Shaver is a fan forced unit. I needed the extra pipe to get the smoke to consistently go over my house when we have a wind from the north. I didn't have any other problems...just the smoke occasionally hitting the side of my house.

I kinda thought that might be the reason. I occasionally have some downdrafts that are a bit pesky but I attribute that to the unit only being 30 ft from the house. When the fan kicks on the resulting smoke normally has enough lift that its not a problem. I'm still burning junk and its tolerable so it will be interesting when I start throwing in the oak and maple... and I'm going thru this junk really quick so I hope the oak and maple increase burn times significantly or I may be cutting a bit earlier than I'd like.

:cheers:

I have a Shaver 165 that I added 4' of pipe to in order to clear the roof overhang that my furnace is under. Ray at Shaver told me that if you add too much height you might need a higher CFM blower. Even though a higher stack increases natural draft, I guess the small opening on the blower limits how much air can be drawn through. I would think on a fan forced unit a little more draft from extra stack height wouldn't be worth the increased creosote.

Heatmor

My heatmor has a 15' stack height normally you would never need that much length however I burn year round and in the summer I need the extra length.

Before I extended it I had problems smoking out my neighbors...

Mark

How long have you had the 12' piece on? Some guys are having creosote trouble and clogging up the stack. Just curious.

A week. It is just one extra 4' section . the CB comes with 8' from the factory. I added the extra stack to help keep the smoke out of the road it is near. The added draft is only a bonus.

Back