Stacked wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splitswood

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new here, and would like to say it's a cool site! I am amazing with the amount of knowledge that you guys share.
I am stacking wood to dry it for later in the season. I've stacked 2, 24'x4' rows back to back, and then did the same running parallel to the first 2 rows 24' away. From there I stacked the wood between the two leaving 8-10 inches in between each of these rows. Will this wood dry properly, or is it stacked too close? Is there a better way to do this? Thanks!

Splitswood said:
Hello everyone. I'm new here, and would like to say it's a cool site! I am amazing with the amount of knowledge that you guys share.
I am stacking wood to dry it for later in the season. I've stacked 2, 24'x4' rows back to back, and then did the same running parallel to the first 2 rows 24' away. From there I stacked the wood between the two leaving 8-10 inches in between each of these rows. Will this wood dry properly, or is it stacked too close? Is there a better way to do this? Thanks!

For the quickest drying, stack it single rows 90 degrees to your prevailing wind. That takes space, lots of space. Your way is a good compact way of doing it.

I have RR ties sunk 30" with a cross bar at top - lean scrap 2x material againsst that to hold the ends of my ricks. Saves a lot of time not having to 'chimneyi stack' the ends of the ricks. My ricks are 12' long by as high as I can stack, around 7'. But then I stack it rick to rick with no space and it seems to dry alright although I usually don't burn until after the second year of drying.

Harry K

I finally finished that pile up yestarday! It wound up being 16 cord. That area of the woodlot gets alot of sun after 10am, so I think it will be alright. I just hope it stops raining here in NY sometime this year! Thanks.

Back