Stacking wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smcgill

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
We have an ungodly amount of red oak that needs to be stacked..
we are having a debate on the right way to stack the wood.

We have some racks , no were enough ..
They are 18" long and we are looking to stack without the racks (full already)
I have seen these bee hive looking things .. how do you do that and does it work ?
What other methods are there?
Thanks

Crib the ends if you want to keep your stacks in rows. I've had some standing for a few years - typically they only fall over if I hit them with the lawnmower or when the row is getting empty. Just start the ends with the straightest pieces, the average pieces make up the row, and the crooked chunks go on top.
20201001_175635.jpg

Crib the ends if you want to keep your stacks in rows. I've had some standing for a few years - typically they only fall over if I hit them with the lawnmower or when the row is getting empty. Just start the ends with the straightest pieces, the average pieces make up the row, and the crooked chunks go on top.
View attachment 909993
1 wheelbarrow load at a time! :laugh:

I use T=posts driven only a little way int the ground then a wire at the top between them. Posts and wires placed so one rick = 1 cord. Wire is placed about 4" above the desired rick height. Two posts 20' apart with rick 5' high is right at 1 cord for a nominal 16" split.

Holtzhausen takes a fair bit of skill to build, and it's not easy. I would say it's not worth the time.

Stacking in rows is the best. I occasionally crib the ends like H-ranch, but they always fall over, so I drive a pair of posts in the ground, and put a small pallet over them. Works great. Will try and get some pics.

I use to deliver seven cords of Pine every Thursday morning at 5 AM to a guy in Newport Beach California. His guys would stack my load perfectly in less than an hour. Of course the stack was at least fifty feet tall. I can stack about fifteen feet up making each row lean on each other a little before falling over. So that works for me. Thanks

The only thing I can ad, is to stack the firewood on something. I started out by stacking on a double row of those PT landscaping timbers with concrete blocks under the ends and middle. But with the price of lumber nowadays, I would just get some used pallets. It keeps your firewood out of the mud, which is a PITA. How do I know? I had to dig enough water logged firewood out of the mud before I got smart(er). When you empty the pile, just dig out the rotten pallet and toss onto the brush pile. Then put a new one down.

Back