Standing dead black oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_0422.JPG I was asked to take this nice black oak down for a friend because he doesn't have a saw big enough to do the job, my old 064 will get a good workout in the morning. Won't know how solid it is till we get it down but I'm thinking s got a lot of good , solid firewood in it. I thumped it good at the butt and it sounds pretty solid, more pics tomorrow.

Good looking wood there.

Does black oak split similar to its cousin red oak?
It's tough as nails, thank goodness I've got many chainsaws and a good splitter!:cool: We cut for around 4 hours today, didn't load a stick. It's behind a locked gate and the rounds need to be noodled into quarters before we can move em. We estimate over 4 cords of " buckskin " oak.

It's tough as nails, thank goodness I've got many chainsaws and a good splitter!:cool: We cut for around 4 hours today, didn't load a stick. It's behind a locked gate and the rounds need to be noodled into quarters before we can move em. We estimate over 4 cords of " buckskin " oak.
Nice work! I've done a couple of those where noodling rounds into quarters is required to get pieces down in the 100 pound range to lug to the truck. Great when it's all done, split and stacked but hard work getting there!

Nice work! I've done a couple of those where noodling rounds into quarters is required to get pieces down in the 100 pound range to lug to the truck. Great when it's all done, split and stacked but hard work getting there!
My partner and I enjoy the hard work, the day was cool and we were outside exercising our old brokedown bodies as well as our saws. People just don't get the firewood cutting for fun, but we don't care!:cool:

IMG_0475.JPG Got some more work done on the tree, and we blew off a 4,000 sq ft roof with 10 yrs of pine needles mixed with oak leaves in payment for the rights to cut the tree, took all of 2 hrs to clean and pile it in the yard for the family. We raced the weather that was blowing in and got er done with this load before noon, we'll be back for more after the storm clears in a few days.

View attachment 571073 Got some more work done on the tree, and we blew off a 4,000 sq ft roof with 10 yrs of pine needles mixed with oak leaves in payment for the rights to cut the tree, took all of 2 hrs to clean and pile it in the yard for the family. We raced the weather that was blowing in and got er done with this load before noon, we'll be back for more after the storm clears in a few days.

I thought your terrain looked familiar...I grew up a couple of ridge lines south of you in Grizzly Flats. My folks still live there.

I thought your terrain looked familiar...I grew up a couple of ridge lines south of you in Grizzly Flats. My folks still live there.
Just looked it up, 1 county to the south, right in my back yard! The gold country has no rival when it comes to weather, beauty, good people, clean air, not to mention Mother Nature! You can keep So Cal, I'll spend my days in God's country.:cool:

Just looked it up, 1 county to the south, right in my back yard! The gold country has no rival when it comes to weather, beauty, good people, clean air, not to mention Mother Nature! You can keep So Cal, I'll spend my days in God's country.:cool:

Absolutely agree...I love it up there. My folks are right at the 4,000' level and surrounded by the National Forest. It's amazing how many Ponderosa Pines are falling victim to this round of bark beetles...I remember how bad it was when the Doug Firs got hit in the late-80s/early-90s, and this outbreak looks even worse. Lots of timber harvesting opportunities though!

Absolutely agree...I love it up there. My folks are right at the 4,000' level and surrounded by the National Forest. It's amazing how many Ponderosa Pines are falling victim to this round of bark beetles...I remember how bad it was when the Doug Firs got hit in the late-80s/early-90s, and this outbreak looks even worse. Lots of timber harvesting opportunities though!
That's a whole other topic for a thread, maybe I'll post some pics on the subject. I've been up here since the 70's and I've never seen worse bug kills, it'll take a couple of years to clean up the dead trees!:cool: P.S. I live at the 3600 ft level, above the fog, usually, and below the snow, usually.

That's a whole other topic for a thread, maybe I'll post some pics on the subject. I've been up here since the 70's and I've never seen worse bug kills, it'll take a couple of years to clean up the dead trees!:cool: P.S. I live at the 3600 ft level, above the fog, usually, and below the snow, usually.

Hooray for no January Inversion Layer! We moved there in '78, and concur it is definitely the worst.

Back