Start my Own Tree Service

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmersfirewood

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am a 16 year old who is very interested in getting into the tree business professionally. I know this is not a business that you can get into overnight. I have a good friend in the business and he has been a tremendous help and allows me to borrow equipment if I need it to do small jobs. I am going to work for him full time when I graduate and now work for him part-time. I was looking for some advice on what I need to eventually start my own business.

-Find a safe,sober and experienced person to teach you.
-Get that tree book everyone talks about, I have it...it's awesome. Can't remember the name...lol.
-Start as a brush dog, work your way up.
-learn learn learn everything you can
-Be safe
-Be safer
-Did I mention be safe ?

-Find a safe,sober and experienced person to teach you. got that
-Get that tree book everyone talks about, I have it...it's awesome. Can't remember the name...lol. hard to buy a book without a name
-Start as a brush dog, work your way up. already there
-learn learn learn everything you can
-Be safe
-Be safer
-Did I mention be safe ?

thanks

I am looking at the wesspur spur climbing kits to learn how to climb. any thoughts??

First, get yourself a good quality saddle. I use the master two. Then get 150 foot of climbing line....I just purchased the new one...what's it called.....24 strand fire or spark......something like that,

Buy two or three double locking caribeeners, I like the Kong grenade gates myself. Sherrill has all this good stuff, my vermeer dealer stocks it.

OK, "the tree climbers companion" book, excellent reference for climbing. I use the split tail method, they say you should master the one used most here in the uSA first.

stand next to a tree, tie into a low branch, start tying a blakes hitch, with stopper knot.....get a feel for the saddle.

I used wesspur once, although they were nice people, I find sherrill has more industry knowledge and the web site is much better. I'm not sure what you mean by"wesspur climbing kit".

I have a BS degree in Forestry/plant sciences from a top forestry school. Learn all you can about dendrology, plant sciences.

I was shown how to climb by old school guys who didn't practice safety standards. I started 'cause it was the only job I could find. I supervised 15 asplundh crews after college fffor philadelphia electric, working for a scum sucking consulting firm who wil go unnamed but is still out there and well known.

anywho....that was 1990. Did computersin Denver when the industry was hot, made much cash, blew much more. LOL. computers tanked, went back to trees. Started my own corp, no employees.

I love climbing, the technique, skill and rigors. I love looking at a well trimmed tree. I'm always looking for new advaces, technology to make my job safer and me more productive.

This year I discovered the Pantin, how I ever got along without it I'll never know.

Sorry off topic. You need..
(or shoud I say what I use....)
-Steel core work positioning lanyard with a camming device (SP)
150 climbers line (spark)
caribeeners(kong grenade gate)
Helmet-petzl of course
saddle
I use Silky saws, friggin things will cut your arm off if you're not careful'
a couple of loop slings and those easy open caribeeners for redirects
I use Stihl saws exclusively
Vermeer chipper also
safety glasses and ear plugs
spikes gecko
chaps
steel toe boots
forestry helmet

Learn the blakes hitch

[.
-Get that tree book everyone talks about, I have it...it's awesome. Can't remember the name...lol.
- You mean "Tree Climbers Companion"?

Find some one who is experienced and capable to teach you.

Drag brush, be safe and learn as much as you can. Show initiative and desire. Start out low and slow. Don't buy spikes, learn to climb without them.

Nothing wrong with spikes on removals, but avoid using them on trims, except almost all of us that trim palms will use spikes for that. No other practical and cost effective way to climb them without it.

I would highly recommend you leave the spikes alone until you are able to move throughout the tree, inside and out, top to bottom, and all the way to the tips. If you can't do this without spikes, you risk being banished to removals only or being considered a hack. Or you can always hire a climber.
A lot of the answers to your questions will differ depending on what level of service you want to provide. Be professional, be courteous, be knowledgable, and have fun.

I'm with redbull

When I started my company we seemed to do a lot of trims and very little removal. This worked well because it gave us time to grow as a company. You may find yourself in the same situation and a spur climbing kit is something that you can get later if you need it. Learn how to do trims off of a rope. I think Sherrill has a climbing kit for rope climbing. Check with them. If I remember it correctly that would be a great starter.

Also check your area to see if there are any recreational climbers around. I can't think of a group of people more interested in helping new people learn how to climb. For them it involves having fun and meeting new people. I am sure if you can find a group you will be able to get a great handle on climbing.

You can climb any tree with spurs, you cannot climb every tree without them, learn both by all means. Probably better for you to become comfortable with a saw in a tree by doing little removals, feels pretty good planted to the tree with long gaffs and a steelcore. I think you are more secure when your feet cannot slip or otherwise move.

whats more comfortable than sitting in a saddle where you use no energy and have the ability to kick back and relax when your body isn't use to climbing as apposed to being stuck on your feet. I think learning to climb using spikes is a lot like adding using touch points. If you can cheat using the touch points why learn the math. If you can climb using spikes why learn to climb on a rope besides it is the right thing to do and that it is the national standard and it is the best for the tree.

P.T.S. I think you are a decent guy from your past posts but "national standard"?. Like is it in the constitution, backed up by law or what? C'mon, it is probably better for the tree but your comment sort of reminds me when Jehovahs Witness people come to my house and start telling me the bible is THE word. Really? Thou shall not climb with spurs or thou shall be smote......

All I am getting at you admitted. It is better for the tree so why not. I have spurs, several of them to be exact but that doesn't mean I put them on everyday. I use them on removals that I can't get the bucket too and even then I may choose not to use them. Spurs are a tool not a necessity. A rope and saddle however is a lifeline. Those spur kits he is talking about is a saddle, spurs, and flipline. And IMO when you are starting out what better way to learn how to do it using a practice that is best for the tree as apposed to getting into the habit of using spurs and transferring the habit over into the prunes causing harm to the trees. I'm not one who says spurs are for hacks. They serve there purpose but when starting out one probably doesn't know what that purpose is.

Latest posts

Back