Starting a new firewood biz

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloth9669

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello all...iam new to the site as well as the firewood biz. Iam posting this to get anyone's response on how to start off. Any information you can give will be a great help. There is 3 of us involved looking to do 50-100cord a year and we are in north eastern mass. I want to know what you recomend as far as gear for the operation, good places to find a good supply of logs, best way to get the word out about the new company, and anything else you may think of. thanks for your time and info.
:greenchainsaw:

Before you spend a cent on equipment, make sure you have an affordable wood supply. If you are looking for triaxle loads of logs I would call around to logging firms in southern NH. You may be unpleasantly surprised to find out how expensive firewood logs are. In my neck of the woods people are paying around $700 for a 6-8 cord load.

Another source might local tree services. You could find some that would dump wood for free, but then beggars can't be choosers when it comes to the quality or size of the wood they dump. The firewood business is tough work and wouldn't be worth my effort if the wood wasn't free.

Have you got the cash available to buy all your wood now knowing you won't see a return until the fall? Mass law requires wood to be cut and split at least 6 months for it to be considered "seasoned". Otherwise you have to sell it as green.

Deffinatly call the local tree companies, but have a place that they can dump it, a BIG area. These guys don't care, they will make a mess of everything!!!! That is you're bread and butter, sell it a s mixed wood. Figure two guys with an mtd style spliter is two hours a cord. Then a chainsaw will be needed, it will vary in length and size, be prepared to throw a quarter of it away, knots and over size logs, and have a place to dispose of it. Then you need a place to store it where it won't get stolen, as well as someone around to help when they load up, and take their money. People will call ALL the time! You EARN every penny!!!! Then you get stupid like I did and sell hardwood as well. We cannot buy it and have it shipped in for what myself and another guy can spend 3 hours driving and 3-4 hours cutting, plus 2 hours splitting (for 2 cord) and make any money!
Up there I understand ( I hope) there are trees pretty much everywhere ( come to Kansas sometime, you will understand) so it may not be as much work. But you will still earn every penny. It's not for the faint of heart!!!!
MY .02
Andy

Latest posts

Back