Starting the install of the Outdoor wood furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockeypuck

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here are some pics, but I still do not know which stove I am going to get. I did purchase the thermapex tube. It is expensive but I think it will be worth it.

PUck

Here is the end product

Finished the pad are for the boiler this morning. If any one cares to look. The last picture is a nice family portrait. Still trying to figure out which stove to get.

I installed an Empyre 250 last winter and I am very happy with it. Heat and hot water for the house. Feed it with wood twice a day and house stay's warm at 72 degrees when it is 15-20 below !!!:clap: :clap:
I have a couple pictures of plumbing at the furnace and water heater.

The woodmaster it is

I just ordered the 4400 woodmaster. :cheers: I chose this one because of firebox size, forced blower (in a perfect world I would be burning seasoned wood, but I do not live in a perfect world);) and ease of install. Nothing wrong with the CB unit, the firebox seemed small compared to the 4400. I am sure I would have been fine with the other, but time will tell if I made the wright choice.

Hockeypuck

hockeypuck said:
I just ordered the 4400 woodmaster. :cheers: I chose this one because of firebox size, forced blower (in a perfect world I would be burning seasoned wood, but I do not live in a perfect world);) and ease of install. Nothing wrong with the CB unit, the firebox seemed small compared to the 4400. I am sure I would have been fine with the other, but time will tell if I made the wright choice.

Hockeypuck

Well glad to hear it, if I made a wrong choice I now have company, LOL. Mine has a fire going as I type. I have no issues with it other than the thermostat wiring info is vague to say the least. I just wired mine in after an exhaustive search. There are problems with A/C units if it is not done right. Everything was checked out tonight and seems to be OK A/C, gas heat and blower only for the Woodmaster.

Hiwayherbie said:
I installed an Empyre 250 last winter and I am very happy with it. Heat and hot water for the house. Feed it with wood twice a day and house stay's warm at 72 degrees when it is 15-20 below !!!:clap: :clap:
I have a couple pictures of plumbing at the furnace and water heater.

Sure sounds nice!
How much wood did you use last year? What type of wood? Was it seasoned? How big is your house?

I have been interested in these units and would eventually like to install one for myself.

Have Empyre

Sure sounds nice!
How much wood did you use last year? What type of wood? Was it seasoned? How big is your house?

I have been interested in these units and would eventually like to install one for myself.

I hooked the furnace up the last part of the winter so I did not run the whole winter. I figure I will burn 5 to 7 cord of wood this winter. My house is a 3 bedroom cape about 1800 square feet.

I burned a mixture of seasoned and green wood both hard wood and softwood. Softwood is good for on the weekends when you are around to feed furnace more often. The hard wood I used during the week so the fire would run 12 hours between loads.

I scavange alot of wood during the year so my cost of firewood is nothing. That is the key part of having one of these furnaces. If you have to buy your firewood, retail it would be too expensive. :chainsaw:
I figure the pay back on the installations to be 3-4 years. Then I will be heating my house for free!!!!!:jawdrop: :givebeer:

It is finally up an running

Sweated that last of the pipes on the inside tonight and fired it up. It is at 155 and rising, a very small leak around a union that I will tighten up tomorrow. I will post some pictures of the heat exchanger and boiler set up. I did not have fun hooking up the heat exchanger to my existing furnace. I did that on wednesday. I spent 3 hours trying to get a 1 1/4 ball valve to sweat correctly. It took 4 trys (drain system, sweat valve, fill up system, watch it leak, swear, drain system... you get the idea). But it is done now. Long hot shower tonight, and I will not be paying Mohammed a cent for the hot water.

Puck

Sweet,

I love the first time you fire up your new outdoor boiler, its just fun as heck.
Got to love sweating.

pics

Here is a pic of the heat exchanger and boiler. Have had it going for a few nights now and my wife and I love the hot water.

Puck

Latest posts

Back