ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Static Electricity

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Wondering if one of you smart guys has any suggestions on how to solve this problem... static electricity when grating chocolate.

I was grating a block of chocolate this morning and as usual when I finished grating the chocolate slivers jumped everywhere - even all over the front of my shirt, like they were metal shavings and I was a magnet.
This is the second plateful:
I just googled and see it's a common problem for bakers everywhere.

Any suggestions on how to grate chocolate without the static buildup?

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Don't think lack of humidity is an issue today - 100% humidity outside and I keep the windows cracked a little all the time... could be a tad dry inside though with the electric heat running.
Will try a metal bowl next time and also order an electronics wrist strap.
That was the last of a 1lb block... time to order more of that, too.

Thanks for the suggestions.

What causes it to do that? The lack of moisture in the chocolate? I've never seen salt, baking soda, or flour do that.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
So, how does this work?
s-l1600.jpg

Looks like all it is, is a piece of wire touching your wrist and a roach clip at the other end... what do you clip it to?

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Depending on the outside temp 100% humidity could be 25 or 30% in the house at 70° . My house stays around 45 % at 70° Because the water table is high around foundation of my house . Curtain drain runs all winter
I've been running a vaporizer for a couple of weeks, but unplugged it when all the rain started.
I'm so used to the opposite condition in the farmhouse, damp, mildewy, and moldy, that I rarely think to add humidity here.
So, about the wrist strap... would a thin piece of wire wrapped around my wrist and the other end tied to a cabinet, or something work? Or, is it something fancy I need to buy?

esshup

esshup

Addicted to ArboristSite
Look for a Humidity gauge on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-0032...ocphy=9016230&hvtargid=pla-351043362615&psc=1

I run 3 humidifiers in the house and I only have 16-25% humidity with all 3 of them running. Each one holds 1.2 gallons of water and I fill them up 2x day. Still not enough. You want around 30-40% in the house to stop the static electricity. I need to replace the central heat & A/C unit and when I do it will also include a whole house humidifier.

edisto

edisto

Spelling/Reality Check
I've been running a vaporizer for a couple of weeks, but unplugged it when all the rain started.
I'm so used to the opposite condition in the farmhouse, damp, mildewy, and moldy, that I rarely think to add humidity here.
So, about the wrist strap... would a thin piece of wire wrapped around my wrist and the other end tied to a cabinet, or something work? Or, is it something fancy I need to buy?

It might be better to ground the grater instead of yourself.

Or use ground chocolate.

Ba dum...ching.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Look for a Humidity gauge on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-0032...ocphy=9016230&hvtargid=pla-351043362615&psc=1

I run 3 humidifiers in the house and I only have 16-25% humidity with all 3 of them running. Each one holds 1.2 gallons of water and I fill them up 2x day. Still not enough. You want around 30-40% in the house to stop the static electricity. I need to replace the central heat & A/C unit and when I do it will also include a whole house humidifier.
Hmm, you reminded me I already have a couple of those - they were my dads.
Looks like my house humidity is just about right.
DSC05152.JPG
DSC05153.JPG