Sthil 029/039 Dies at Idle Runs Great Up Top

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpankratz

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Thanks for bearing with me guys. This saw is having some wanky issues too. Was running great also, and now won't idle.

Well it will start, idle then suddenly die, off like a switch.
I have been messing with the carb settings too, so when I do get it to idle it is fast.

Also tried running it with the filter off, and under throttle it blows a lot of fuel out.

Compression is 130 on this guy.

Rebuild the carb on your two saws. Put new kits in them and make all the adjustments perfect. Clean the carbs with an ulta-sonic to get them really clean. Then report back here.

You think that will get er done on both of them? I will definitely do that and report back.

So I tried a plug in this thing to, didn't help. I cut with it a bit keeping it going with the throttle between cuts, then about 5 minutes in this thing died too.

Carb kit? Just seems weird that it will run ok and then suddenly die out.

You need to inspect the fuel line, that model is known for developing cracks. Then if the line is bad, you need to rebuild the carb, as crap is inside it.

Sometimes it's a good thing to check for a small air leak on these saws. I've taken the 029 and 039 saws apart and they had very little sealer on the bottom pan. If that appears to be the problem it might also be a good time to replace the main seals...

Ok so I got the carb kit installed, air filter changed (didn't do the fuel filter but it looks clear), and the saws up and running great now! I guess that teaches me to do the carb kits. The diaphragm was definitely stretched.

Ok so I got the carb kit installed, air filter changed (didn't do the fuel filter but it looks clear), and the saws up and running great now! I guess that teaches me to do the carb kits. The diaphragm was definitely stretched.

Yep, it also teaches you to learn who to listen to in here- first reply had it covered eh? ;)

Back