Sthil MS 180 repair question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings to all and thank you to each and everyone who shared ideas to fix my screw up. I normally do not make stupid mistakes such as this. Maybe it is a sign of getting older and not thinking as clearly as I did in my 20's, 30's, 40's and early 50's. I apologize for not checking the site sooner. I received an email reply that my username could not be verified by the system. My username (simply the first initials of my given and middle name and my surname) might be offensive to some. I suppose it is the bs that did it. I do have a Milwaukee 1/2 inch impact, however, it maxes out at 450 ft/lbs and I know that is not a good idea. I do have a Rigid and Milwaukee drill/driver that should produce about 20 ft/lbs.

I would especially like to thank those who provided excellent advice. I should have realized the aluminum cast key was only an index and that it could not provide much resistance against turning on the tapered shaft. Seating the flywheel with a socket and hammer should have been obvious, however, I was too pissed at myself for screwing up the flywheel. I will give the suggestion a try in the morning and let you know how it works. Another special thank you for the link to the service manual. It might be nearly idiot proof with the service manual (I know ..... idiots are so ingenious they will find a way to screw up and anvil).

Thank you again for your words of encouragement, excellent suggestions and offers of assistance.

Sincerely,

Brían Scott Du Bois
Evansville, Indiana (Posey County) USA
(some residents of Posey County have an Evansville mailing address. Mount Vernon is the seat of Posey County, while Evansville is the seat of Vanderburgh County) It makes little sense how the postal service initially drew boundary lines.

Clean off all the oil/grease from the flywheel hole and the crankshaft. Be sure there is no scratches/burrs in there. Line up the flywheel where is was when it had a key. Tap it a little with a socket that fits over the crank. Now tighten the nut. Use your strap wrench if you want but be sure it is where it needs to be for ignition timing. Good and tight on the nut and go to cutting. The taper holds the flywheel not the key. Mike
Mike, Thank you for an excellent suggestion! This should have been obvious it is so logical and simple. I was too pissed at myself to think clearly. Thank you again!

I looked in one of my totes and noticed I have most parts to build a 180, may just do that when I get my yard work caught up..
Please let us know if you have any luck getting it to run. Mine was apart for about 3 years and it ran great (after I purchased a new carb). It is hard for this old man to believe a complete carb is only $10.00 more than a carb kit. It is unfortunate small engine carbs are no longer made in the USA.

Good luck.

Brían S. Du Bois

Back