Stihl 009 and 009L

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstueve

Makita Freak!
Reaction score
Just wondering what the parts compatability is between these two Stihl models. My neighbor is about to give up his 009L to me that needs a little carb work ($50). And I've found another 009 in the back of the nearest saw shop that he'll let go for another $50. I figure if I can't get both going I'll have a good runner and a parts saw. So I was just wondering what is compatable between the 009 and 009L????

I was thinking that the 009L might have a slightly larger bore...??? but I'm taking a guess here...

The 009L uses a 38mm piston and cylinder, the 009 uses a 36mm P&C. There might have been a carburetor difference on early model 009's but the carb. off the 009l works fine on it. The early model 009's also used a smaller reed valve,but can be replaced with the 009l reed. I believe there were some differences internally on the case, so the case gaskets are different on some. But most parts will swap from one to the other.

That family of saws included the 009, 009L, 010, 011, and 012. They shared most parts, with differences in ignition, handle configuration, chain brake, and displacement. The 009 in its various forms had a long run, and most parts are still available from Stihl. I am currently working my way through a bushel or two of these saws to see how many runners I end up with. A very-easy-to-work-on-saw.

Music to my ears guys!

I like hearing "very easy to work on" and "parts still available"... I assume "very reliable" should go in there as well...???

I'd been looking for a small limber for some time now (money and time got diminished by some weddings). I found out quick this year that my 6401 wears on the shoulders and arms after 2-3 decent sized trees and there really wasn't any reason to keep cutting with a 20-28in bar when a little 12-16in would do just fine. Plus pruning some trees at mom and dad's was a little scary with a 22lb saw!:msp_mellow:

sounds like I know who to contact if I need a part or two! right Glade.?.?.? with a bushel or two it sounds like you may have some parts to spare...

Last edited:
I was just using an 009L today. I was burning brush and used it to cut some small trees/large branches down to size so I could toss them on the fires. They are a pretty handy saw for the niche they fill. Mine tends to leak out all the bar oil into the storage case.

They are fairly tough... I've got one I've made lots of firewood and money with it. You may have to replace the diaphragm in the oil pump, but that is about $5, and brings it back to like new oil flow.

The only down side I have with mine is that there is no anti-vibration, and it leaves my left hand numb if I use it for a long time. Takes days for the sensation to return so I replaced it with an 029 I rebuilt. If you are susceptible to this type of numbness, don't use the saw for extended periods of time, it can become permanent.

Good saw, however. Get some AV gloves from Stihl, I hear they work well.

(Ignore the other folks here who think it is the ugliest saw ever produced... it ain't a beauty contest :) )

Back