Stihl 009 Chainsaw. As near-New as possible. Worth it to re-build?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spearo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Helped a family member to move.

One of the items we came across in their basement: A little orange chainsaw case with a Stihl 009 in it.
My family member said that he purchased it NEW and used it for a weekend following a hurricane. Decades ago!
He can not recall ever using it again.

I have a very well running 011-AVT. I know parts are getting tough to come-by for this generation of saw.
Our local (good) saw shop took a look at the 009. Stated that for the money to re-build, just buy a new Stihl.

I have never run an 009.
Is an 009 worth the effort to re-build, by me?

Spearo

I agree a carb job is as far as I would go with and no more. Their torquey little saws but nothing to get excited about .

My family member said that he purchased it NEW and used it for a weekend following a hurricane. Decades ago!
He can not recall ever using it again.

Spearo

Will not need a rebuild- but the shop says it does?
Unless that family member bought it new- used it for a very limited time over that weekend and ran it on straight or near straight gas......... might explain why it was not used since and why the shop are saying it would be cheaper to buy a new replacement saw?

Latest posts

Back