Stihl 011 av won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm working on an 011av for a friend and can't get it to start. I took the side cover off to look into the muffler and the piston and cylinder look perfect. The saw has plenty of spark but I can't get the engine to fire even when I squirt a little bit of fuel down into the spark plug hole. It appears to have plenty of compression, over 100 anyway, so I'm thinking this thing should start.

Maybe I can get between 110 and 120 with my well used compression tester. I figured since it's a reed valve engine that might be enough compression. I'll probably tear it down today and check the flywheel key, don't know why I didn't check that the last time I had the cover off...I haven't checked the reed valve yet to see if it's okay.

If you squirted the fuel in the sparkplug hole the engine would fire even if the reed valve was missing, spark at the correct time would fire it off.
Correct. I just noticed this is a points saw, checked the flywheel and it was on correctly, key was intact. Points were set at about .013 so that's not far off, I guess. The only thing that might cause spark to be off time might be an open condenser which I didn't check. I did notice a lot of blow by at the carb when I put fuel in it and tried to fire it up. I checked the reed valve anyway and it appeared to be okay..The compression is probably enough to fire so I might look into the condenser, but I may check the compression again just to be sure..

Back