Stihl 011av repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey King

Reaction score
Wanted to get some opinions on whether to repair a Stihl 011av chainsaw or just purchase a new saw. My 011 has spark, fuel, and the compression is 110. It ran like crap the last 2 times I used it and now it won't even try to fire. I am thinking that the ignition coil is bad and not delivering the spark it needs. I had this happen with another carburated engine and replacing the ignition coil did the trick. My local Stihl dealer has a new coil for $115 + tax. Should I put this toward a new saw or fix the old one? I also found an after market coil for $40 + online. Are these after market coil worth buying? Also what would you all recommend as a replacement saw?

I wouldn't spend $115 on it.
Well I might, depending on the condition of the rest of the saw. And wether I knew for sure that it would fix all the problems.

Didn't take nearly that much trouble to convince me to go spend $250 on a brand new, dependable saw.

Those old saws are cool and all, and I want to get my old 009L running perfect again if I could do it for 20 or 30 bucks. This saw actually starts and runs but gets hot a little quicker than it used to. I'm thinking it might be developing a leak at the seals, which is about $20 in parts. I'd buy a new bar for it too if I got it running perfect.
But I still like having a brand new saw that I know every part on it is brand new.

Keeping in that weight and power range, I bought an Echo CS-352. And it's a nice little 34cc sub-9 pound saw with decent power.
I was going to get a CS-400, which is a little heavier and more powerful than the 009 or the 011. But they were out of stock at the store I went to buy a saw at, so the 352.

But then, later, at my local dealer's 20% off sale, I ended up getting the saw I really wanted. A saw very similar in style to the 011AV, but much lighter weight, and a little bit faster. The Echo CS-361P.
I really love the 361P. It's a nice compact saw with the 14" bar and chain and lighter and more powerful than the 352. But they aint cheap. It's a solid well built saw though.
I sold the like new CS-352 to my brother at a good price, to replace his old Stihl 017 or 170.

Never got a coil. Or did any fuel system work to the 009L, other than fiddlin with the adjustments.

Finally broke down and put a new plug in it. The old one still looked perfect.
I think that fixed it. Just readjusted the carb after and it seems to be back to running like a top. :nofunny:
I'm a little embarrassed about the whole thing now. Went from two saws to I don't know..?...14 or so, all because a plug that didn't look bad was bad.
Oh well. I like most of my new collection. Guess I'll put that new rollomatic-e bar I bought for it on there now.

Back