Stihl 012 av excess oiling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph Acquisto

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Seems it is oiling too much. I noticed that recently it has been leaving a pool of oil in the carry case and today, after I replace the fuel lines and got it running it started dripping on the ground while I was revving it up for testing.

Thought I was leaking fuel from a botched job or left the tank cap loose. But it is oil. Can't see an adjustment. May just live with if for a while as I need to finish up some cutting.

Any suggestions?

I'm not familiar with the 012, but my 290 and 660 have a set screw on the bottom to set the oil flow. I always open them up all the way. You want your fuel and oil to run out at the same time. If you are only using half a tank of oil per tank of fuel, your not getting enough oil on the bar. If you are getting a puddle when the saw is sitting, sounds like a leak, not adjustment. I'll let the Stihl guys help you out.

I'll send you the IPL & service manual for that saw, tomorrow. Oil pump is simple design. Check the diaphragm and check valve ball in the pump body.

The service manual shows the layout and describes the operation.

Howdy,
There's a little brass ferrule that's in the end of the oiler hose where it feeds onto the bar. Check to see if it showed up missing.
Regards
Gregg

I'll send you the IPL & service manual for that saw, tomorrow. Oil pump is simple design. Check the diaphragm and check valve ball in the pump body.

The service manual shows the layout and describes the operation.

If it's not too much trouble I could use the IPL & service manual for that saw as well..

Older Stihls saws oil any time the engine is running, most old carrying cases are full of oil because of this. The new Stihl saws only oil when the chain is turning, so less oil is wasted or dripping from the saw.

Sounds like a leak. The volume put out by the pump is not adjustable, the pump runs when the engine runs. The 009-012 series oil pump works using crankcase pressure changes to move the pump diaphragm (there's an air channel from the crankcase to the port where the pump flange bolts to the case). The rod from the back of the diaphragm pumps the oil. There's a check ball to prevent backflow.

The pump has a foam filter over it, the foam disintegrates when wrong oil is used. Then grunge can gum up the back spring and hold the check ball open.

On the later 012's and 011's there is a plunger button on the pump flange face to help prime the pump, with a seal around the plunger. This can leak.

The plastic pipe from the inner end of the pump to the oiling outlet is submerged in the oil tank. The oil pipe may be have come partially off the pump, or cracked or split there or along the line, or the ferrule at the outlet may be damaged or gone as said before. Oil can leak if these things happen.

The holes for three small screws that hold the pump flange go through the case and open into the oil tank. If these screws are loose, or gone, oil may leak under the flange gasket.

The tank vent is a hole through the case near the top of the tank with a small cotter pin in the hole. This hole is next to the cover stud. Oil can leak out through there. Oil tank can get pressurizerd by crankcase heat, oil can blow out this hole.

Old thread, been living with the oil puddle and finally found time to break it down.

Seems the biggest issue was the delivery hose from the back of the oil pump to the chain sprocket area had deteriorated.
While I've been able to find gaskets and the oil filter, the "plunger with diaphragm" 1120 640 3100 seems unavailable. I may try a Sthil dealer on Monday.

The oiler hose seems also among the un-buyable but imagine I can fashion one out of any oil resistant tubing and just reuse the ferrule if I am careful.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Old thread, been living with the oil puddle and finally found time to break it down.

Seems the biggest issue was the delivery hose from the back of the oil pump to the chain sprocket area had deteriorated.
While I've been able to find gaskets and the oil filter, the "plunger with diaphragm" 1120 640 3100 seems unavailable. I may try a Sthil dealer on Monday.

The oiler hose seems also among the un-buyable but imagine I can fashion one out of any oil resistant tubing and just reuse the ferrule if I am careful.

Thanks for all the feedback.
The plunger with diaphragm is no longer produced but if you call around you can maybe find a dealer that still has one or some on their shelves or buy a donor saw to salvage one off of.

The plunger with diaphragm is no longer produced but if you call around you can maybe find a dealer that still has one or some on their shelves or buy a donor saw to salvage one off of.

Thanks. It's more of a "while I'm in there" thing. No holes but it's a bit wrinkly and is maybe 30 years old.
If there are lot of these around yet, maybe an asian producer can be convinced to run off a hundred or so.

Back