Stihl 015 -- Bad Clutch Drum/Oiler Design

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are Getting There

Fish, I will order this tomorrow from either you or the dealer. You picked up very well on the original problem. Without a spur gear oil driver sold with the 3/8" clutch/drum sprocket, the sprocket is worthless. Without a clutch/drum sprocket, the saw becomes worthless. The pitch of the nylon spur gear oil driver must match the clutch drum sprocket, and that pitch must also match the roller nose bar and the chain.

Fish (or anyone else), please let me know who the Stihl dealer is who can supply a spur gear oil driver that matches the clutch drum sprocket. I can take care of the bar and chain that will keep this saw running so that a vintage Stihl 015 in very good condition does not become a boat anchor.

PM if necessary, and TIA.
Wood Doctor or Fish

Do you still monitor these posts? I am in the same boat you were a long time ago. Any suggestions. Thanks, TomF

Wood Doctor or Fish
Do you still monitor these posts? I am in the same boat you were a long time ago. Any suggestions. Thanks, TomF
I was able to find a small engine dealer who had the spur gear oil driver needed to convert the saw to 3/8" pitch with a new sprocket. However, I doubt seriously that he has them anymore. It's an old needle in a haystack.

Wood Doctor or Fish

I have two 015s and may have some spare parts - will check. Do you need the sprocket gear and oiler gear or just the oiler gear? I have 1/4 chain on one with a dime tip carving bar. Cuts really well with a sharp chain. I'm not sure if have 1/4 or 3/8 on the other but I would stay with 1/4 if I had to. Lots of 1/4 gear sets on ebay.

I have two 015s and may have some spare parts - will check. Do you need the sprocket gear and oiler gear or just the oiler gear? I have 1/4 chain on one with a dime tip carving bar. Cuts really well with a sharp chain. I'm not sure if have 1/4 or 3/8 on the other but I would stay with 1/4 if I had to. Lots of 1/4 gear sets on ebay.
Thank you very much. As you can tell, I am new to this site and don't want to break protocol. Is it acceptable to somehow provide my phone number so we can discuss the best way for me to proceed? TomF

Thank you very much. As you can tell, I am new to this site and don't want to break protocol. Is it acceptable to somehow provide my phone number so we can discuss the best way for me to proceed? TomF
You can send a private message. Unfortunately, I checked and all I have is 1/4 gears. I seem to recall that the 3/8 was damaged so I just converted to 1/4 on both saws. Sorry. I will keep an eye out just in case something turns up. Will also keep a search on ebay.

Back