Stihl 015 electronic conversion, strobe light timing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbconv

Reaction score
Picked up an 015 from my dad, he couldn't remember the history on it. Took it home, fueled it and no start, looked like no spark so I read, found and did the points to electronic conversion. Cleaned the air filter and threw a new plug in it also.

Saw started on 5th or 7th pull and ran, cut some 3 inch or so limbs but nothing amazing with the old 1/4" chain on it so I updated to a 3/8" bar and chain, brand new. Still cuts but nothing amazing with a 12" bar and 4-5 inch tree or limb.

Are these saws just small limb trimmers or should they handle a small tree/decent sized limb with ease? I'm going to try to check the timing today and then compression. It takes decent effort to pull the rope, it isn't weak and loose.

Has anyone timed an 015 or point to electronic conversion saw with a strobe light? What would you want on these engines, 15-20 BTDC?

Or should I make a pointer, find TDC, then run the piston down the hole 0.09" (I think is the spec), mark the flywheel or clutch and use it for my timing reference?

Also, do muffler mods help on these old small saws or is that mainly for newer EPA/sound limited saws?

Thanks

I have two of these and run points in both. Clean (file) the points, set the gap correctly and forget it. They are dependable but not powerhouses. Only trouble I ever had was on one, the wire to the points rubbed through on the bottom and it grounded out when hot. I did try opening the muffler a little but saw no appreciable gain.

define electronic conversion.... aftermarket electronic ignition module like this??
1_706a1311-f617-42b2-9708-ed18071e05bb_large.jpeg

Latest posts

Back