Stihl 015L identity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t20sl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Where is the serial number located? Trying to figure out the year. Has 1/4" pitch and a white chain cover. Which is better the 1/4 or should this be updated to 3/8. There seems to be both available. Will use for climbing and trimming once in awhile. Finally gave up on my old Craftsman, could never find it's good EASY starting procedure. This Stihl starts on 1st pull but want to identiify so I can get a few parts.
Thanks, Ted

Can be very difficult to find new bars with a 1/4 pitch sprocket nose, plus 1/4 pitch chain is smaller, and more expensive and generally only used by carvers, if you can you may want to swap out the 1/4 pitch drum, chain, and bar for a 3/8 LP set up. Only issue is the oil pump, I cant recall off hand if that is gear driven off the clutch drum it may be if so that will make the conversion more difficult, I can check when I get back to the shop.

Yes those were sprocket driven oil pumps, so to switch it out to a 3/8 pitch system you would also have to find a 3/8 pitch oil spur gear, check on the front or side of the case for the serial#

Serial number is stamped just behind oil/fuel cover.
6b0e827a36a710d8943484b66cd57793.png

Latest posts

Back