Stihl 020 AV Coil Replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somerowl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good day all,
I've become the owner of an older 020 AV with a No Spark condition. The compression is good and the Stop Switch is functional. Just replaced the fuel pick up line and filter and am excited to get this beastie running. Pretty sure the only thing that could be the issue is the coil itself and, short of a bench test, there is no spark when tested with or without the spark plug.
Looking at the unit shows me that the plug wire seems to feed through a hole in the case that will not allow the plug boot to pass through it. I'm thinking that makes this a "kit" form (seen a few on line that show the line separate from the boot) and wanted to make sure that's in fact the case from you experts!
I'd much rather have an older unit in great shape than a newer unit in any condition.
Anything else I should check?
Any other suggestions for replacement?
Thanks in advance,

The plug wire is "threaded" into the coil. Just rotate the wire ccw and it will come out of the coil. If you have a wire going under the flywheel, then you have points. Put up a pic of whay you have.

Thanks Harvey, that unit has an internal trigger I assume, that makes sense. The trigger replacement part alone is about $40 from stihl, I'll see what I can find for that part number.
Thanks again!!

The problem could be the points or condenser. These saws did not have electronic ignition. I sold the condenser out of my 020AV to someone who needed one. I would up sending the entire crankcase half since I didn't want to damage it getting it out. He managed to get it out carefully.

Got and installed the new unit, gapped the flywheel to 18 thousandths, get to crank it up tonight, will advise on the outcome!

It RUNS...........then dies.........I think I may have pinched or did not attach the fuel line into the carb well enough. Also, pinched the damn spark plug wire assembling the unit, but it did start twice (once with ether). Time to tear it apart again.......getting pretty quick at that at least. Still no "good" way to attach the fuel line to the carb pre-assembly, any hints?? Thanks for getting me this far!!!:clap:

I have this same saw and my spark plug wire doesn’t unscrew from the coil. I have to replace my coil or whatever it is. Any help would be appreciated in how to take it apart, what the wire under the flywheel is, and how to put the operator present spring/linkage back together.A824A441-8A07-40DB-B292-DB8DC1D923EA.jpeg4FF686C7-2E75-430F-BD2E-FE15E65D2BFE.jpeg

Latest posts

Back