Stihl 020 av powering up problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bajaus

Reaction score
First time post. Had this 70s all metal 020 av for 50 years. Always able to keep it going. Just started being unable to power up. Starts and idles great. Had carb apart a couple of times with rebuild kit. If I have the patience and power up slowly, it will sometimes power up and cut fine. Pulse tube fine, everything is clean, new coil/points, plug. Almost like main jet clogged. But then why would it power up occasionally? Confession - don't really know how to get into the main jet. Advice would be appreciated.

Trying to get the main nozzle out which also has the main check valve in it is a pain and not worth the effort . Try to locate another carb. Those saws were notorious for carb and intake boot problems. I really don't suggest this but you could try soaking the main body of the carb in a alcohol solution, not carb cleaner or Seafoam overnight . You might end up more problems than you have right now.

Trying to get the main nozzle out which also has the main check valve in it is a pain and not worth the effort . Try to locate another carb. Those saws were notorious for carb and intake boot problems. I really don't suggest this but you could try soaking the main body of the carb in a alcohol solution, not carb cleaner or Seafoam overnight . You might end up more problems than you have right now.
Hey. thanks for the info.!

Latest posts

Back