Stihl 020AV Super Idle question and manual request

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AuerX

constantly confused
Reaction score
So my old 020AV Super that I havent used in a few years wont idle..
Starts great. Cuts great at high RPM, no issues with that at all.

But dies instantly if I let go of the throttle. Low and high adjustments about 1 1/2 out. Finicky adjustments.
Idle screw doesnt seem to do anything really.

Help appreciated. It's a good little saw.

Also, if anyone knows about a manual I would very much appreciate a link.

Hope everyone is having a good summer so far.

TIA

Ah the saw every Stihl tech from the latter 1/4 of last century loved to hate!
Between the 020 and the MiniMac, they are wee toads to work on, you have to pull the powerhead to bits just to get to the carb and those slotted screws often refuse to budge without butchering up the heads........ if you remember where they all are, including the one hidden under the spark plug lead.........

Ah the saw every Stihl tech from the latter 1/4 of last century loved to hate!
Between the 020 and the MiniMac, they are wee toads to work on, you have to pull the powerhead to bits just to get to the carb and those slotted screws often refuse to budge without butchering up the heads........ if you remember where they all are, including the one hidden under the spark plug lead.........

Awe come now let's not knock them old 020's . :lol: The Mini mac's we could do without but the 020 is one of my favorite saws from yesteryear. They are not that bad to work on.:chainsaw:

Awe come now let's not knock them old 020's . :lol: The Mini mac's we could do without but the 020 is one of my favorite saws from yesteryear. They are not that bad to work on.:chainsaw:
Haha...... not that easy either. The thing with carb issues on these old dears is, you have to pull them apart, fix the problem you think you have and then put it all back together again to check if indeed you fixed it! If not, pull it apart again.......... :ices_rofl:

Well..balls....just as I sorta had resigned to getting rid of the little West German Fraulein, I gave her another chance.

Cleaned carb, fuel tank, started up, and now I had some room to adjust.
Took it to the woods and cut down some pine in an area I'm slowly clearing.
With a 14" Powersharp combo, this is a very practical handy little saw.

Now...Only problem I have left is that I cant adjust it low enough on idle to stop the chain from moving. Clutch feel like it stuck, when I engage the chain break the saw simply dies abruptly as well.

I did use some of the Stihl veggie base chain oil a long time ago that unfortunately gunked up the saw pretty badly as I did not know that you're not supposed to store a saw with that oil..even for a short while..
Maybe some of that is present there, I'm going to have to pull the clutch I guess.

Even so, got a little cutting done and it was a joy. So easy to work with.

IMG_20190912_123719_400.jpg

Veggie oil you say? Try running a tank full of kerosene or turpentine through the oil tank- see if that cleans up any veggie deposits in the system.
You might want to do this outdoors and wear gumboots, waterproof leggings........ it will get messy!

I had it clean a while ago, seems thats not the issue. What I found was the clutch shoes has separated from the friction bands so I need new clutch shoes. And that seems almost impossible.
Stihl part #11141601500

Yep, that wont help matters.

I have one in a box here somewhere that is missing the clutch- did wonder if the entire clutch pack could be swapped out for one of say an MS170 or something more modern.

Would be nice to have options yes.

I'm wondering If I could run it bare metal, without the friction liners. Or if they could be adhered back on somehow...?
Or just replace the liners with some ducktape!! xD

Decided to give it a go with some adhesive. I'll run it tomorrow.
I had some 3M weather stripping adhesive around, nasty black contact cement like stuff for Automotive use. Used to keep gaskets and what not in place too.
Messy stuff that dries fast. Strong as hell and hard as hell to get off your skin too... Only two pads needed fixing.

20190912_180356.jpg

Worked out pretty good, took down and cut up a tall pine that was about 1' at the base. The right size for this saw.

20190913_125026.jpg

And back to square one, my little repair effort didnt hold up.

Anyone have a box of Stihl clutch shoes under the bed? Stihl part #11141601500

And back to square one, my little repair effort didnt hold up.

Anyone have a box of Stihl clutch shoes under the bed? Stihl part #11141601500

To be completely honest- I didn't think it would, but was holding off to see how long it took for the heat and friction to dissolve the repair..... just incase it did work!
Back when I was younger and disc brakes were a rarity on motor vehicles, there used to be brake shops where you could get your drum brakes repaired. Things like lathes that could turn out and reface brake drums, brake shoes could be resurfaced and oversized shoes made.
Those kinds of shops would have the ability to adhere pads to brake shoes........ but those kinds of shops are near a thing of the past!

Keep your eye out for a parts saw or three, bound to be some on social media, auction sites or buy sell exchange pages. They might have a fried p&c or something else wrong, but a good clutch.

Back