Stihl 023 Bogs In Large Oak - Go Narrow Kerf?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Per Steve's suggestion, spark arrestor screen had a third b locked by carbon. First step in the check.
As far a gas, I'm not going to venture into using pump gas in an occasionally used piece of equipment because it all has ethanol here. Specialty fuels here for equipment and off road use are pretty high octane.

Per Steve's suggestion, spark arrestor screen had a third b locked by carbon. First step in the check.
As far a gas, I'm not going to venture into using pump gas in an occasionally used piece of equipment because it all had ethanol here.
Screens are best cleaned with a propane torch (or a gas stove burner if the wife isn't around!)

Post a photo of the hole in the muffler behind the screen. Stihl had several varieties over the years. You can also get more flow through the muffler louvers by widening them with a BIG screwdriver.

Screens are best cleaned with a propane torch (or a gas stove burner if the wife isn't around!)

Post a photo of the hole in the muffler behind the screen. Stihl had several varieties over the years. You can also get more flow through the muffler louvers by widening them with a BIG screwdriver.
Ah, I used a brass brush and the screen looks pretty good but I can hit it with the torch to see what happens. I can't imagine that there is more flow through the screen sieve than the exterior louvers. I need to keep the screen for safety reasons.

Ah, I used a brass brush and the screen looks pretty good but I can hit it with the torch to see what happens. I can't imagine that there is more flow through the screen sieve than the exterior louvers. I need to keep the screen for safety reasons.
Use the wire brush AFTER the torch.

Put up a photo of the exit hole in the muffler without the screen or louvers.

Use the wire brush AFTER the torch.

Put up a photo of the exit hole in the muffler without the screen or louvers.
Only have MAP torch at the moment and don't know if it will damage the screen. Screen looks pretty good after 5 minutes with a brass gun barrel brush.

Exit Hole First. Entrance Hole Second.
IMG_8597.JPGIMG_8598.JPG

Absolutely right. And if it’s correctly modified it can take advantage of higher octane and make much more power
My bone stock '76 Triumph mc, with only 8.6:1 compression thrives on 100+ octane fuel and has extreme detonation on anything that comes out of the pump.

My bone stock '76 Triumph mc, with only 8.6:1 compression thrives on 100+ octane fuel and has extreme detonation on anything that comes out of the pump.
That’s very odd. Sounds like you need to adjust your afr and/or check your plugs , timing, etc, as you’re probably running lean and too much advance if it runs well on 100+ but not on pump gas. Your compression pressure can‘t be more than 140psi with 8.6cr on that motor.

Only have MAP torch at the moment and don't know if it will damage the screen. Screen looks pretty good after 5 minutes with a brass gun barrel brush.

Exit Hole First. Entrance Hole Second.
View attachment 898526View attachment 898527
That is the pre-EPA muffler configuration which should breathe pretty well without further modifications.

It does look like it is running a bit rich possible in both oil and fuel. Could be a carb issue, (old) fuel issue or a dirty/restricted air filter.

Theres a difference between static compression and dynamic compression, and having the timing too far advanced.
Timing is dead on, always checked with a timing light. It's been like that since new but that's another story.

That is the pre-EPA muffler configuration which should breathe pretty well without further modifications.

It does look like it is running a bit rich possible in both oil and fuel. Could be a carb issue, (old) fuel issue or a dirty/restricted air filter. Going over it all again. Exhaust port has no buildup at all. Air filter had just a bit of saw dust. Spark plug is a good color. It was not readjusted for current fuel/oil being run so perhaps that is holding it back as suggested. Will just work finish up and try it again.
Going through it all. There was no buildup in the exhaust port as would be evident from the muffler condition. Just the screen was partly blocked. There was some saw dust on the air filter, but not a tremendous amount. Next to check/replace the spark plug. I am sure it was not readjusted for the current fuel/oil used, so there is that to do too and then retest.
Thanks for the input.

also check its oiling the bar enough, tip spins freely..have experienced oil flow loss during cuts due to sediment in the tank more than once that greatly reduced the saws cutting power...replace that fuel pickup filter, the white mesh ones look clean but trap trash inside thats not visible that can starve the saw for fuel and even collapse the hose.

Going through it all. There was no buildup in the exhaust port as would be evident from the muffler condition. Just the screen was partly blocked. There was some saw dust on the air filter, but not a tremendous amount. Next to check/replace the spark plug. I am sure it was not readjusted for the current fuel/oil used, so there is that to do too and then retest.
Thanks for the input.
Which air filter version do you have? A photo would help. The older one is a front/back snap together 2-piece. The newer style is a single piece dome. Either of these are best cleaned with non-chlorinated brake cleaner from the inside out. If you see pin-holes through it after cleaning then it is time for a new one. The dome style used to be pretty cheap ($5).

Back