Stihl 024 AV - Problem Diagnosis

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew Tubbs

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I have recently acquired a Stihl 024 AV. It starts and runs excellent but after around 15 cuts the chain seems to stop, almost as if the chain brake were on, but it is not. Could this be a problem with the sprocket or clutch? I have attached some images for inspection.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
You need to take the drum off and look underneeth it to see if any thing is wrong. Is the saw oiling ok? No oil on the bar might cause it to lock up after cutting a while.

Just at a glance it doesn't look like much oil (unless you wiped it off). The sprocket drum is easily removed if you want to post pictures of the clutch area. That "E" clip pops off and then remove the washer so that the drum should slide right off the crank.

How tight are you running the chain? That 024 ought to be pretty wet if you ran it 10 minutes or so. At a glance possibly an oiler problem.

Confirmed, I have a lube problem! Ran the saw over a white piece of paper and the chain was bone dry. Question now is where does the problem lye. If I remove the clutch I can check the worm gear - is the oil pump behind that? Is checking the oil filter the same process and the fuel filter?

image.jpeg Can someone please explain how the oil pump works on this model as there appears to be no worm gear like the later models? Is the silver part in the centre behind the clutch the oil pump?

Pumps oil whenever the engine is running. Yes, that's the pump.

To answer your question, yes. If I remember correctly, thereis a plastic like piece that goes on the hole that is smooth inside and threaded outside. The threads turn the gear of the pump. There is a small metal arm on that piece. The groove in your clutch drum hasto have that bar hooked to it (it just sits in there). If someone took it off and did not line the bar up, it will not oil. You can check it with your finger by spinning it

View attachment 468287 Can someone please explain how the oil pump works on this model as there appears to be no worm gear like the later models? Is the silver part in the centre behind the clutch the oil pump?

it does have a worm gear, well it should. Here this is an older post but excellent as you can see that indeed there is a worm gear and the IPL speaks volumes. http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-024avs-oil-pumps-types-and-conversions.69873/

Drain your oil tank and rinse it with straight gas or mix. After you're done rinsing it, fill it back up and let it soak with the saw laying on its side and the cap off.
It may start flowing again, or you may have to remove the line and pump to clean it. It's simple either way.

Thanks guys!

I removed the oil pump and it was jammed. Drained the oil, and what was floating in the bottom - the oil filter. I guess it had become disconnected at some point and sucked a load of crap into the system. I jetted it and seems to be clear. Will leave it to soak and drain overnight before trying it again tomorrow.

Back