Stihl 024 AV?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three years ago I sold a Stihl 024 AV for $150 that I rebuilt. The new owner loves the saw.
I have an 024 AV that I am going to rebuild. I have the cylinder/piston kit and a new carberator ready to replace the factory installed parts. I would like to know the torque values for the cylinder, carberator, and muffler. Also, any tips or must know information to get this done correctly. I have an inch-pound torque wrench to set the torque to factory specifications. Any advice is much appreciated and is there a factory service manual that could assist me? Thanks:)

I’ve collected a few huskys and figured I need some creams cycles to round out the orange/white saws. If the 024 runs that good I’ll sell the 170.? The 250 has the easy start and no tools bar adjuster. I think it’s neat.

There are Huskies with the same tool less chain adjustment, the 170 is good for your roses and small garden shrubbery- I'd drop the 250 like a hot brick in favour of the 024, but then I would also be looking for an 024 super before settling on an AV just because it was there.
Most that have owned saws with tool less chain adjusters seem to have the novelty wear off and go back to screw adjuster saws.

What’s the difference between the 024av and the 024 super?

Unlike slapping a Magnum sticker on a 660- Super after the 024 means another few cc's under the hood and the same extra 2mm of stroke on the rod- so you can turn a fried 024 super (which is already about midway between an 024AV and an 026) into an 026 with a top end swap- which is not an option with a standard 024AV.
You can not turn an AV into a super by a simple cylinder swap- but you can turn an 024 super into an 026.

I love my 024. Besides how expensive air filters are

Yes, and you know those early-024 filters are not getting more available. I also just don't like the choke-located-in-filter concept.

Here are $32 OEM filters:
https://www.baileysonline.com/stihl-air-filter-fleece-for-older-024-chainsaws-qs-1121-120-1625.html
What are they at the dealer? Or, are they NLA?

I have an early 024, and it came with the wire-mesh filter. Seems like a sketchy concept. People say, they are a snow/frozen-wood filter.

There are, of course, late 024s which use the larger, easier-to-get filter.

Roy

For starters, the MS250 is classified by Stihl as a homeowner saw...not even in the farmer/rancher class.

Some might say the same for the Husky 350 clamshell.
My point was- you cant compare a plastic cased clamshell to a mag cased pro saw realistically, I was giving a flip side to Bills comparison.
Had he asked how does an 024 shape up against a 346XP- different story.

Latest posts

Back