Stihl 024 cheap carburetor question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T0RN4D0

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys, i have a beat-up 024 that stopped running. It wasn't getting gas so i switched the carb from my 026 and it fired right up. I tried cleaning the carb but still nothing. Probably needs a rebuild buuut that could either work or not, and the tillotson kits i've found are about the same price as a new china carb.

Anyone have any experience with those? The ones you can get for under 20$ on fleabay. They have the compensator tube thingie, i think i hacked that thing off once on a ms180 and it still works? The second question is whats the deal with the red plastic in place of the H (or L?) screw, guess that means it can't be adjusted?

So if anyone has used them before please share your experience.

those china carbs seem pretty good ,I put one on a tanaka gas drill that I rebuilt but had carb issues due to a worn shaft and carb body, fitted a new aftermarket carb and it runs sweet

Hey guys, i have a beat-up 024 that stopped running. It wasn't getting gas so i switched the carb from my 026 and it fired right up. I tried cleaning the carb but still nothing. Probably needs a rebuild buuut that could either work or not, and the tillotson kits i've found are about the same price as a new china carb.

Anyone have any experience with those? The ones you can get for under 20$ on fleabay. They have the compensator tube thingie, i think i hacked that thing off once on a ms180 and it still works? The second question is whats the deal with the red plastic in place of the H (or L?) screw, guess that means it can't be adjusted?

So if anyone has used them before please share your experience.
The red plastic is actually a hi-speed limiter and it can be adjusted slightly. I say leave that compensator tube alone. It mates with the air filter.

I'll order it and see if i can put it together without altering compensator tube. Thanks for all your input guys.

I'll order it and see if i can put it together without altering compensator tube. Thanks for all your input guys.
One thing to be careful of. The old 024 air filter will not mate with the carbs that have that projecting compensator tube that usually carries an O-ring. And, the new air filters that work on the 026 won't fit the old 024 AV's. They will bolt on but then you cannot close the back plastic carb cover. Worse yet, the old 024 air filters are getting hard to find and the scalpers are taking over. Many Stihl dealers either do not have them or cannot get them.

So, you may not have any choice but to cut off the carb's compensator tube and plug it as JugHead recommended. However, I'm not sure what that will do to the carb's performance.

Yeah im kind of sure i'll have to chop that thing off. :) And yes it is the old style filter that is smaller than the new version.

Yeah im kind of sure i'll have to chop that thing off. :) And yes it is the old style filter that is smaller than the new version.
There is one other option. The 026 shroud and carb cover will work with the newer air filters and the carb that you bought with the o-ring compensator. They provide the clearance needed to accommodate the filters that will then accept your new carb as is. However, the shrouds generally have a hole for the decomp valve in the cylinder that you do not have on an 024 AV. By some miracle, the 026 shroud also fits the 024 AV and mates with an 026 back cover that also fits the 024 AV. Not sure how Stihl did that, but it works and allows you to use the more common air filters available everywhere.

You might even be able to find an 026 Shroud that has no hole in it for the decomp valve.

Back