Stihl 024 upgrade advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cylinder will have an embossed or stamped “S” on top somewhere,depending on the make of cylinder. Or measure the stroke.

Here is my Super with embossed “S”.
1ddc0713d2de97990f1c4cc832761d1b.jpg

And another example with the stamp.
63931c75cf8c98d810fb399351f9adda.jpg

Here's the 024 that I converted to an 026:
Stihl 024-026 01.JPG Stihl 024-026 02.JPG
It runs today. I should never have sold it. New top end, plastic, carb, and air filter was most of the work. I added the outer bumper spike for good measure. I told the new owner that if he wanted to sell it back for what he paid, I'd buy it immediately. Unfortunately, he's never called.

I paid more for the bolts, 4 for cylinder and 4 for muffler than I did for the P&C!

Also the bolts are T27 torx instead of the older allen head. No one had a T27 that would fit through the cylinder fins except my local Stihl dealer and he gave me one!! In the end went for a 42mm P&C although the 026 size was less expensive, maybe go that way later. Need to acquire a bar and chain and thinking 16" .325 x .063. Because this saw has been around for quite awhile there are different tank vents so maybe the one I ordered may not be right but lots of work to do before we get there.

Back