Stihl 024 upgrade advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Help, stop me from making another mistake! My machine is a 024 Super with 32mm stoke. The P&C i ordered was for a 024 standard I guess as the piston hits the roof of the cylinder. From Huztl there is a 44mm bore cylinder and a 44.7mm bore available. Which do you think I should go for? 44mm is for the 026 and I guess the 44.7 is a large bore replacement. Both should have the same stroke as the Super 024 which is 32mm. Is a larger carb advisable?

Help, stop me from making another mistake! My machine is a 024 Super with 32mm stoke. The P&C i ordered was for a 024 standard I guess as the piston hits the roof of the cylinder. From Huztl there is a 44mm bore cylinder and a 44.7mm bore available. Which do you think I should go for? 44mm is for the 026 and I guess the 44.7 is a large bore replacement. Both should have the same stroke as the Super 024 which is 32mm. Is a larger carb advisable?

The 44.7 were on very late 026’s and standard on the 260. You can do either, but I believe Al has had better luck with the 44mm’s.

I'm currently the winning bid on a 44.7mm P&C which ends in 16 hours so I may be going that way after all. If I don't win I'll go 44mm although I don't think it would matter much as I don't do a lot of cutting now.

So I won the 026, 44.7cc P&C so that's the way this will go. Also ordered a de-comp. So got it all together, had some trouble getting the rubber intake bellows onto the cylinder intake, but done. Back together bugger wouldn't start. Found the de-comp leaking off comp so sealed it with a plug. Really not needed on a 44.7cc saw.

Dripped some fuel into the carb and away she went and settled into a reasonable idle. I'm short a chain so haven't had a chance to tune in wood yet.

So I have an 024 P&C to spare if someone needs one.

Back